Help what did I do wrong??

sunbird1

Seaman
Sorry in advance for the long post.<br /><br />I tried a little preventive maintenance on my engine this weekend - 1990 Johnson 120 VRO - and now it is running horrible. I replaced the oil and gas lines going to the VRO and the gas line coming out of the VRO to the carbs, I cleaned the VRO tank and changed the pickup screen. I also checked the gap of the plugs - .30 and they were fine. Because I changed the oil lines, I premixed the gas at 50:1 and later verified that the pump was working after running boat.<br /><br />Now the problems:<br />1. After running, I can't get it to restart in neutral. I have to open up the throttle all the way for it to start then when I put it in neutral is stalls.<br /><br />2. When running at WOT or above 4500 rpm, the engine misfires (seems to kick).<br /><br />What did I do wrong? Is this all because I premixed and will go away when I burn through all the gas?<br /><br />thanks for you help.

BF

Lieutenant
Re: Help what did I do wrong??

Hi,<br /><br />I had 2 thoughts...<br /><br />1) are you sure all the plug wires are on, and that they are on the correct spark plugs?<br /><br />2) is there an air leak on any of the gas lines? sounds like it's too lean at idle.<br /><br />good luck.<br /><br />Brent

sunbird1

Seaman

I will double check everything tonight. I don't think it is the plugs because I only took one out at a time. As far as the air leak is concerned, I used plastic ties to hold some of the smaller lines on. Specificall the ones going to the carbs. They were real small diameter lines and they had plastic ties on them before. For the lines into and out of the VRO, I used the plastic snap clamps. Could the plastic ties not be tight enough? Are they ok? Do you think the premixed gas caused the problems? Before this, the engine ran great.<br />thanks

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You may have fouled the plugs running 25:1.<br /><br />I had my VRO pump apart over the weekend, boat's been down, sprayed some premix in the carbs after replacing the whole ignition system, started up, so just for kicks, I took the "rebuild kit" parts out of my old pump and put them in the supposedly "new" pump, fired right up. Now, did I buy a defective pump or when I replaced the tie wraps with hose clamps, did that make the difference? There is a special tie wrap too, has a radius on it for the small dia. it needs to conform to. Did you use these "OMC" tie wraps? I bought a bag of them, but then a guy at work asked me if I bought the installation tool, yes there is a tie wrap tool...... I was afraid to pull and twist the regular pliers as I already have one pump with a busted fitting......

sunbird1

Seaman

Thanks for the ideas. I will clean the plugs and get some OMC plastic ties and an OMC plastic tie tool. I just used some clear ones I got from Home Depot. For the lines in and out of the VRO, I used the plastic snap clamps (that is what was there before). Coming out of the carburator feed line is a plastic "T" with four fittings and I replaced the ties for two of these lines so I will check these again.

ob

Admiral

All you need to do to verify that fuel lines are not leaking from primer bulb to carbs is to pump the primer bulb until it is firm indicating that the float needle valves are seated and then look for any leaks.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Sunbird...you won't have success without the right ties and the tool...you cant get the dern thangs tight enough...just a Thought

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Sunbird...also check the primer solenoid red handle is no up in the maunual position. It should be pointing to the rear of the solenoid.

sunbird1

Seaman

Thanks, I'll check that too. I might have bumped it when I was changing the hoses.