help tracker boat to get on plane

kshillbilly

Recruit
HI all-I bought a tracker pro 16 2010 model with a 30hp merc 4 stroke and empty it planes out ok-but with my buddy that weighs 300 and all our gear(2 batteries, fuel, water in livewell, etc ) it only planes if the waters slick--and takes a while then-like a block or 2-fighting any headwind at all and it struggles and won't plane unless my buddy moves up to the front deck--sounds like its laboring all the time---when I bought it they had the motor all the way down as low as it would go--I've since moved it up to the bottom holes--(bout even with anticavitation plate)--it still holds the bow awfull high I think and I'm wondering if a fin would help or a wedge to get the nose down or maybe a prop?? By myself with no gear it ran ok--29 mph with a gps-- the weight is not distributed very well but I don't really want to go rewiring everything. Suggestions?? Thanks,

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: help tracker boat to get on plane

got a picture of the motor and transom from the side and behind???

wondering if the pin is set too far out.....

good luck

bob

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

not enough hp ,my brother has the same with a 40 and it barely planes. id say double the hp or like my brother does live with it and fish small lakes.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your 2010 tracker must be either wider then my 97 tracker 17'. I can plan easily with my 2 stroke 40hp.

-

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

We usually fish 3 people so 650 lbs . it planes but not what i consider fully .i just think they are under powered for three people loaded.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Without some rpm figures its difficult to suggest a prop accurately.
Based on your description I think a 9" 4 blade.I like the Solas Amita.
for predictable results.It will plane much easier and stay on plane with less power
and have better control around the dock.You may lose some top end when empty and you'll have to watch the rpm.

kshillbilly

Recruit

I reckon I'll get a tach and go from there-boats hp rating is 30 and thats whats on it--my first 4 stroke and I'm disappointed in the zip it has--thanks for the help

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You could trade up to a new etec 30.Its sure to have more punch out of the hole.
30hp etec on a starcraft 1620 with a console. 570 lbs with 6 gallons, 240lb test driver and test gear, rough conditions 27.6,mph 5.23 to plane.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Evinrude Etec direct injection 2 stroke. available in 15 high output,25 and 30 on up.
to 300.A very clean 2 stroke that is so clean it is used on official boats on lake tahoe where conventional 2 strokes are banned because they cant meet polution limits.