Help Sterndrive stuck on

tom135

Seaman Apprentice
OK, just let me start, I'm very new to boating and I'm looking for some advice from the experts.

I own a 1989 198CLX Chaprall with a 4.3L inboard, with an Alpha 1 sterndrive. I suspect it is a generation 1. I'm in the process of removing my engine for replacement. With what I read, I need to remove my sterndrive to remove the driveshaft from the engine coupling, and to allow me to align the new engine.

I removed the six locknuts and washers connecting the gimble to the drive. I also removed what looks like a lock washer from one of the 6 bolts. It was screwed to the drive. I pushed the throttle forward to align a bronze mechanical quick release. (not sure if this is right). Then I removed the trim actuators. I then proceeded to try to split the drive from the gimble. No go, at best I now have a slight gap, but that's it. I didn't want to pry too hard for fear of breaking something.

I was wondering what I missed. Could someone please chime in and send me down the right path. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Help Sterndrive stuck on

Is there a hose for the speedo?

(P.S. It's spelled Chaparral)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

If its been on there for 20 plus years...heck even a couple it's probably just stuck on...

Take a 2x4 and put it across the "ears" between the leg and the gimbal..

Lift it up slightly and drop it back onto the wood..May have to do this a few times..

It should break free after a few tries.

Good Luck & Welcome Aboard

dubs283

Vice Admiral

i have found the best way with a 2x4 is actually on top of the drive in between the front of the top cap and the gimbal ring

rotate the drive upward and wedge the 2x4 and force the drive off

works every time

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

.....Take a 2x4 and put it across the "ears" between the leg and the gimbal..

Lift it up slightly and drop it back onto the wood..May have to do this a few times.............

.....and if that doesn't work: Re-install the trim cylinders and BUMP the up button a few times.
FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny:)

tom135

Seaman Apprentice

Wow Thanks for the ideas, I like the low tech approch with the 2x4. for the speedo, on the back of the boat I have a small plastic tube running down the back of the boat to a finned type plastic fixture. I think this is the fixture. I will try the 2x4 idea and post my findings. thanks.

TilliamWe

Banned

Ok, it's definately not the speedo tube.

Don't be surprised to find rusted u-joints and a rusted gimbal bearing when you do finally get it off.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I pushed the throttle forward to align a bronze mechanical quick release. (not sure if this is right).

Just a word of re-assurance - yes, you do have that right. At least in the necessity of it being in forward - it's not really a "quick release", but it does need to be aligned in order to be removed. ;)

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The driveshaft is probably sticking in the gimbal bearing. I used two large screwdrivers in the slots each side to move it a bit, and then a piece of hardwood through the gap to rock it against, then it came off.

BTW, you don't need to remove the trim senders unless you're also removing the bell housing.

tom135

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all for the advice. I tried the 2x4 approch and it worked like a charm. Once I pulled it back I found the u joints to be rusted, so I guess they will need to be replaced. Thanks for helping a newb.:cool:

TilliamWe

Banned

The u-joints were rusted for a reason. And that reason is that your bellows has a hole in it, probably. You need to replace that too.
And while you are at it, you need to check the gimbal bearing very closely, and replace it too, if you have any doubts, or if it has any rust on it.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I completely Agree with TW,... A Very Close inspection is due....
You've No doubt got deeper Problems....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I agree with all of the above....and it makes clear the need for yearly removal of the outdrive...so you can inspect for these problems...and fix them before they get too big and expensive...becaue if there's one thing an I/O won't tolerate...it's neglect...I remove mine each season...inspect everything....if all is OK and no water in the gear oil it goes in the garage for the winter...if not I take it over to my mechanic for whatever it needs...then reinstall in the spring....

tom135

Seaman Apprentice

I plan on changing the u joints, Bellows, and now with your advice, closely inspecting and possibly changing the gimble bearing. Is there a possiblity the U Joint assembly could have rusted over time due to humidity? When I bought the boat this fall, the owner had it out of the water for approximatly four years. Reguardless, my parts will be changed to be safe, I'm just trying to understand the systems.
Thanks for the help.
Tom

dubs283

Vice Admiral

humidity?

sure, anything is possible

but you have to realize the u-joint bellows is designed to be sealed water tight

so wether it was lake/sea water or moisture from the air, water was getting in there somehow. and its not supposed to

hole in the bellows, bad quad ring, through the gimbal seal are the only ways for water to get into the bellows

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hole in the bellows, bad quad ring, through the gimbal seal are the only ways for water to get into the bellows

I'm not a Mercruiser expert by any means, but I just had the same problem. My bellows didn't leak at all and the sealing ring was OK.

Water can get in through the upper shift shaft bushing if the seal is bad because there's water in the exhaust cavity right underneath that. It could also get in by the gasket leaking. The sealing surface of the gasket on the right side is a strip of less than 1/8".

My shift shaft seal just crumbled in my fingers when I removed it.