Help removing pulley from crankshaft

Florida

Seaman
I am trying to remove a transmission, belt pulley from the crankshaft of a riding mower. The manual made it seem like the pulley would slide right off the shaft. My pulley was stuck of course so I tried to use a puller to free it. I ended up bending the side wall of the pulley. Where do I go from here? Since the pulley is ruined should I keep pulling it with the puller? Help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Here is a shop manual picture and a picture of my pulley

pulley.jpg

mower002.jpg

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help removing pulley from crankshaft

Heat, lots of heat!!
when it does come off, bang the bent lip back so you can re and re the drive belt without removing pulley

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

PB Blaster, try to get it on TOP of the pulley so it goes DOWN the shaft.

Good luck.....

<<)))(((>>

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I had the same thing happen to me. Heat it (the center hub) with a torch. this will expand the steel and help it loosen. With a puller attached and torqued, sharp blows to the pulley hub should finally get it to move. Keep reapplying heat and torquing the puller, then hitting it with the hammer. It took me 1 hour to get mine off. After cleaning and oiling it, it went right back up the keyway with a couple of love taps from a ball peen hammer. You can also straighten the pulley back out with a litle heat and a small hammer.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

And put antiseize on the shaft and inside the hub when you reassemble. Next time it will slide off easily.
Mike

bigdee

Commander

And put antiseize on the shaft and inside the hub when you reassemble. Next time it will slide off easily.
Mike

A+ I put that stuff on just about everything that I might have to disassemble someday!

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A high quality grease will work better than anti seize, as it is designed for heat rather than same part temp. Run into this all the time at work when sprockets, and gears are put on shafts with anti seize. It will gull, and rust the metal, making disaseblly harder. Nevr seize comes in copper and nickle depending on the type of metals used on to stop galvanic reaction.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

You just need a bigger hammer thats all. x2 on the heat and beat. Try putting some pressure on the puller and tapping the pulley.

Florida

Seaman

Thanks for al the replies. Well that was exciting, the pulley was so full of penetrating oil grease and dirt that it caught fire when I heated it with the torch. I had to run for the hose and put it out. I then drained and revmoved the gas tank. How hot should I heat the hub of the pulley? Should it be cherry red hot?
thanks

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Yes...cherry red (actually orange).

dwco5051

Commander

If you were trying to remove the pulley to change/replace the belt I have found it much easier to unbolt the engine and lift it up enough to get the new belt around the pulley than try to get the pulley off the shaft.

Florida

Seaman

dwco5051----- that would have been a million times easier.

I finally got it; that was aggravating! I heat it and beat it with the puller tight. Now that it?s off I have a couple of questions. It looks like I ruined the first few threads on the crankshaft with the puller. The threads are full of metal shards. What would be the best way to clean it and tap it? Is there anything I should know about this? Also why is the crankshaft magnetic? I had to tip the riding mower over on its side to access the bottom. Is oil going to pool in the cylinder and break something when I start it? Does tipping the mower on its side do anything I should be concerned about? Thanks for the help everyone. I posted this same thread on a tractor forum and got zero replies.
Thanks again

mower003.jpg

mower.jpg

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Too late now, but you should have been pushing on the bolt w/o the washer.If you can find a tap it would be a good time to clean up the crankshaft threads. I don't know how hot you got the crankshaft but it might be a good idea to replace the seal now. And I still stand by what I said about using the antiseize.
Mike