Help Removing Connecting Rod and Cap Assembly

tink

Cadet
Ok, I'm in the process of rebuilding my 1986 Johnson 40 Horse Electric Start Outboard. My lower cylinder is scored and I have to get the cylinders bored out and then put in oversize pistons. I have the crankcase completely disassembled and am left with the crankshaft and pistons (still in cylinders and attached). What kind of socket do I use to remove the bolts from the connecting rod cap? It looks like a torque screw, but I don't have any socket to fit it. What size will I need? Also, my manual says I need to use an OMC Rod Cap Alignment Fixture/Tool (Part #396749) to reinstall the connecting rod. I don't have this tool and don't really want to shell out the bucks for it. Do I really need this tool to put the connecting rod back when I have the oversize pistons attached? Please let me know. Thanks for all your help.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help Removing Connecting Rod and Cap Assembly

I believe it's a 5/16ths 12 point socket. Go down to your local OMC/Bomb dealer ask him what it will take for him to use the tool to align the rod caps. Make sure he is gunna use the tool! He should not charge you more than 1/2 hour labor. It will take about 15 minutes if you have the bearings in place ready to go and the cap screws on finger tight. Ask him (when you first meet him,) what his favorite beer is. Get him at least a 12 pack!!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The socket is a 5/16 - 12 point, you will want a good quality socket such as Snap-On, or Mac. Because the torque is quite high, (372 in. lbs) and these sockets are thin wall, a poor quality will just crack out the side. You can get by without the special tool. When installing the cap, carefully pull the cap down in place with light torque, then with a sharp pencil, or your fingernail, check the crack for misalignment. Then going from side to side, check alignment as you torque the cap down. You will note that these caps are broken of with a crooked edge. They can only go on one way.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I am with johnson on this. I own the tool and for just 2 cylinders I usually just do it the old fashioned way with a dental pick. when I bought my tool it was close to 300 dollars. but for a v6 its handy.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ditto. Dont worry about the tool. Use an OE manual and follow the steps and the excellent advise already given. Tighten the caps one at a time and rotate the crank. There should never be any binding or any "clicking" sound or feel.<br /><br />Good luck!

tink

Cadet

Ok, thanks for all your great advice. I really appreciate it.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Apex also makes the socket.

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tink: There's one thing I haven't seen anyone address on this thread. The rod caps are usually longer than the rod body by about .010 so that while you're tightening the bolts, one side still wants to overhang the rod body. Even when the bolts are really tight. You'll easily find this with a fingernail or the pick mentioned above. When you see this, it's best fixed by turning the crankshaft to bottom center on that cylinder and squeezing the cap with a 2" or 3" C-clamp. Lay it over slightly so you can get the socket and extension past the clamp while you have the squeeze on the cap. Then tighten the bolts.<br /> This is really the main thing the $300 OMC wonder does. The other thing it's supposed to do is center both sides of the cap on the rod body. I never use mine anymore!! Some rods were machined wrong so it can't be used anyway.<br />Good Luck!! ;)