Help, PLEASE!

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since I did not have good water pressure, I decided to change out my water pump in my 2003 Mercury XR6 150. I was only getting 10 psi at WOT and about 2 psi at idle. Well I found the culprit, a broken lower gasket in the water pump. Here is my issue. The kit came with a BUTT load of pieces/parts. WHen I took the pump housing off to replace it with the other one, I did not notice a seal between the metal plate and the housing (notice in pictures). I believe that there should have been a rubber O-ring seal in between this space. Well, with the kit that had a rubber O-ring that appeared to fit perfectly in this space. So, I put it in there....Is this right?? My concern is that the last water pump was put in by a mechanic and since there wasnt a o-ring in this place, there might be a reason for this. I put one in here bc I believe it is needed to seal all the water in the top part of the water pump? The pictures I took there is no o-ring in the oval shape place; however i did put one in here and it fit perfect! Tell me if I was correct ?? Thanks!!:confused::confused:

ru8uwy.jpg

259zl90.jpg

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Help, PLEASE!

I would say that your best reference is a parts diagram for your particular motor. If you do not have a shop manual for your motor, you can probably find the right parts diagram on the Doug Russel Marine website. You did not provide the SN for your motor, but the below link for another XR6 may show you what you need to know.

In short, I would not add or omit any parts to what is specified by the parts diagram.

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...0,280,290,140,40,60,340,180,80,350,360,10,190

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Talked to a mechanic yesterday and he told me that the seal wasnt supposed to be where I put it :mad:......He said that it was supposed to slide down the drive shaft and seat on top of the water pump housing, he reffered it to the "final seal".....he said that where I put it could cause undue stress to my impellor making it fair prematurly.....What I dont understand is how this can be? I mean if you look at the picture, where I installed it isnt touching the impellor at all....It is flush with the metal plate and top of the plastic housing.....I dont see how taking my lower unit back off :( and moving that seal about a quarter inch up will change its purpose?? Somebody please tell me if I am wrong or right?? I have to drop my lower unit night if this is the case!!! PLEASE RESPOND with what you think and why!!

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like you are trolling for an answer that says to leave it alone. Even if you get someone to say that, what are you going to do if/when the motor is overheated/damaged because you followed their advice? At best, you might get an apology from the person that gave you the bad advice. If you want an engineering explanation as to why Mercury designed the water pump exactly the way it is shown in the parts diagram, you would need to contact Mercury for this. Just my thoughts...