Help on a new project

Tall Hat

Recruit
0826121218.jpg

So I picked up this outboard. First can someone tell me how to find out what year it is? Second, Im use to newer outboards from wrenching them while in the Coast Guard so bear with me. How do you drain the oil out of the power head? Has anyone had trouble loosening the grease plug on the lower unit and how did you remedy this? To get inside the magneto do have to use a puller? And whats a good pointer for loosening that nut on top of the magneto with out bending anything?
I know its alot of questions but thank you to anyone in advance for the help

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help on a new project

It is a 1948 Firestone, made by Scott-Atwater. It is a two-stroke, meaning oil is mixed with the gas, and there is no crankcase oil to drain. If you have been working on outboards, I'm surprised you are not familiar with hand-impact screwdrivers. Indespensable when working on outboards. One whack with a hammer on the tool will have that grease plug loose.

Yes you need a puller. If I remember correctly, the flywheel has three screw holes for the puller bolts. DO NOT pull on the outer rim of the flywheel!!! Use a strap wrench to hold the flywheel. If you don't want to buy one, make one from a piece of 2 x 2 lumber and a piece of nylon strap.

Tall Hat

Recruit

It is a 1948 Firestone, made by Scott-Atwater. It is a two-stroke, meaning oil is mixed with the gas, and there is no crankcase oil to drain. If you have been working on outboards, I'm surprised you are not familiar with hand-impact screwdrivers. Indespensable when working on outboards. One whack with a hammer on the tool will have that grease plug loose.

Yes you need a puller. If I remember correctly, the flywheel has three screw holes for the puller bolts. DO NOT pull on the outer rim of the flywheel!!! Use a strap wrench to hold the flywheel. If you don't want to buy one, make one from a piece of 2 x 2 lumber and a piece of nylon strap.

2 stroke...Wasnt even thinking when I asked about draining the oil. Guess Im stuck on 4 strokes or maybe this mystery generator Im working on re-vamping too. (idiot moment)
I thought about a hand impact screwdriver but its just not something I have in the toolbox. Guess I need to invest in a set or see if I can borrow/rent a set somewhere. I was knudging at an idea that wouldnt involve me spending more money.
Thanks for the pointers F_R

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tall Hat
First off, Thanks for serving Our Country!
Go to the Antique Outboard Motor Collectors Club site;
http://www.aomci.org/
And check out the forums. The "Ask A Member" forum Will get a lot of answers
For Your questions, And the "Tools Tips And Tricks" forum
http://www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=DIY
will have a lot of info on pulling a flywheel.
But BEWARE, This hobby is very addictive.
Good Luck with Your motor,
And welcome to the hobby.
Steve A W