Help Needed on Prop

MikDee

Banned
Re: Help Needed on Prop

That prop is geared towards skiing, & wakeboarding, being 16" diameter, and only 13" pitch. That's why it's cheap. What size is your present prop? It's usually embossed on the hub, and No, it's not that hard to remove, & look!

By the way, what are you trying to accomplish, more speed?

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Size should be near the base of the blades or under the prop nut.
If you need instructions removing the nut just ask.
If the prop isn't too badly damaged it may be able to be repaired.
Pictures may help.Prop size is written _ _ X _ _ diameter X pitch Primary consideration is the pitch.
Yours is probably about 14 X 19.If its a Merc. number it will begin with 48 and the last 2 numbers are usually pitch.
Diameter is a secondary consideration.If the prop is intended for your setup the diameter will be right.
Typically props are aluminum or stainless steel. Stainless props attract a magnet and rate quite heavy.
Stainless are expensive and usually perform very well.Aluminum cost about 1/3 of stainless and work quite well.
Hope I haven't confused you with too much info.Don 't be afraid to ask any questions you may have,
there are no stupid questions.

zsmith29

Cadet

Thanks Guys
That is exactly the help I was looking for.

I will have to look around more and find out what I have on there.

I am mainly looking for an economical reliable prop. We just cruise in the boat. Not looking for extreme performance. I did hit 50 MPH with the old proper before i beat it up on a log.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think your speedo is screwy; a 3.0 on a 18 ft boat is more likely to make about 40 with some luck.
We can guestimate your actual speed when we get your prop size.

zsmith29

Cadet

Yeah you might be right about that. I was thinking of double checking that w a cell phone or gps.