Help need finding controls

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,
I just picked up a 1960-63 Merc 400 without controls. I've been searching the net for a control box and harness but haven't had much luck, mainly because I don't know what im looking for. Is there anyone out there who can help? Maybe with pictures or a website where I can purchase a set? Thanks!

BTW the SN is 1363113

M

Maxz695

Re: Help need finding controls

Check thru Ebay there are alot of controlls withg cables and the harness all set up. Type in search mercury control Mercury shifter etc etc

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

Max
Thanks for the reply, I've checked ebay and found one set that might work, however the listing says the cables are junk. Also, from what I've read, the cables are different from that era, so the typical cables wont work. I called my local repair shop and they said that they could get me a used set of controls and harness for around $300! I wasn't looking to spend that much seeing I only spent $50 on the motor.

njrextreme

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a blue and black mercontrol box w/ cables and key but the wiring harness has been cut off so no plug. It's from a 1974 inline 6 115 and on a 16-18 ft glasstron boat. Shoot me a offer if it will work.

28iyxkn.jpg

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the offe, but it wont work.

M

Maxz695

probably on the right path. I saw those and when you said 400 I knew it was old as I have a set of decent upper mopunts for that engine. I would try to get a set that belongs to your motor (ORIGINAL) but you may get away with the newer style controls

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

Alright, after further discussion with my local repair shop I finally understand what I need. I was under the impression that the mercontrol wouldn't work and that I need a two lever box. I was incorrect, what the repair guy was referring to was the wiring harness. I can not use the wire harness from the mercontrol, but the cables will work just fine.

With that out of the way, I started looking online last night for a harness and found they run around $200 new. Anyone out there have a link to a site that sells them used? If I need to I'll spend the money, but if they can be had for less... Even better!

Also in the meantime id like to get her running. What is the procedure for starting this motor without a harness? I've looked around and havnt found any posts as to how to do it..

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

Max,
original is the plan once I find a decent set. However I have a good mercontroler I can use in the meantime. As soon as I get this motor running and up to snuff I plan to strip it and repaint. It will be going on a '68 Starcraft that I've been working on for some time now.

njrextreme

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can find a wiring diagram you can make your own harness. Instead of having it plug in the side, run the wires in a water proof loom and rite into the motor cover. Just as a example, I wired my 74 motor to a 1986 control box. The wires were diff colors but I read the wire diagram and figured out what wire went where. There wasnt very many wires to hook up and if you dont have tilt trim inc in your control it will be even less wires then I had to deal with.

mr 88

Commander

For that matter you can hook up a ignition switch right on your dashboard and take the controller right out of the loop as far as the wiring goes.A 68 Starcraft, as in a restored boat show queen or 68 as in workhorse boat,if the latter then mount it all on the dashboard like the old johnnyrudes.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member