HELP!!! Motor Spits ROOSTER TAIL @ WOT ???

butteco

Seaman
Hey all, <br /><br />I just went out to the lake for the 2nd day. The first day I just putted around 10-15mph for the first tank of gas, since the motor hadn't been run in a while. Today I felt the motor had been sufficiently broken in and so I push the throttle all the way down. <br /><br />GPS said I was going 37mph which is plenty fast for me, but I have a feeling I could get another 2-3mph out of it. the reason being follows:<br /><br />I noticed that at WOT my motor was shooting a large "rooster tail" up out of the water and splashing all over the outboard cowling. It almost looked like something was dragging in the water and pushing the water up and out of the lake. Now while this probably looked cool, I DO NOT LIKE IT!!! I have a feeling this drag is slowing my boat down. <br /><br /><br />I have an 1976 85HP Evinrude w/ the "hydrofoil fin" attached to the cavitation plate. The cavitation plate sits just a hair under the bottom of my boat (about 1-2"). Manual Trim is all the way down on the lowest setting (the setting closest to the transom). <br /><br />I don't see how this water is being kicked up? <br /><br />HOW CAN I FIGURE OUT WHAT THE CAUSE OF THIS DRAG IS?<br /><br />Any advice would really help out! <br /><br />Thanks!

Walker

Captain
Re: HELP!!! Motor Spits ROOSTER TAIL @ WOT ???

For top speed lose the fin and raise your motor to get the cavitation plate about 1/2 to 1" above the bottom of the boat.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

For a quick fix first raise the engine until the cavitation plate is even with or slightly above the bottom and - - second remove the hydrofoil. Both of these will cause drag & a rooster tail.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Duplicate post. See Outboard Non-repair.