Help me spend money wisely. New Fish and Ski replacing a 1975 Starcraft Supersport

SMEYLINK

Cadet
Currently have a 16' Starcraft Supersport open bow with cushions with a 70 evinrude which is a great boat and still use it for fishing and skiing and love the layout. Kids are 4 and 7 and we like to take guests with us out on the lake so capacity of 7 is needed like the current boat. Wanting to upgrade (boat has been in our family sense new) to accommodate larger size skiers and a bit bigger to give some more room while fishing. Storing rods when skiing would be a plus verse unload and reload when we go on our annual upnorth trip.

Need to have:
Looking at 17 ft - just shy of 19 ft. Storing in garage.
Enough power to pull up a pair of adult skiers on single or two skis weight of adult 200 lbs each
Pulling towables
Fishing out of the for and aft of the boat. Convertible front is nice currently sit on cushions and fish or stand in the front.
Full windshield to keep passangers dry when crashing thru waves.
Lower weight. Towing up to 3500 lbs. Been looking at Aluminum only hulls
Fishing Winnebago, smaller Wisconsin inland lakes and might toss it into Lake Michigan but that would be rare.
Boat will be stored on land and launch at different lakes in WI, currently have a roller trailer and love it for shallow launches. Any pro con on roller trailers verse bunk. I am often the only one getting the boat in so being able to pull in is needed.

Been looking at Lund, Crestliner, G3, Starcraft/Starweld.
I have had excellent luck with Evinrude and really like their E-tec but don't see this motor on many new boats. Of course Merc, Lund, Crestliner are owned by the same company so they push their product. I'm not against going black on the back, but really like the 2cycle Evinrudes if a nice equipped boat to match. Price I was hearing was about 3k to swap out to a evinrude due to new controls needed over the factory spec.

Plan is to keep this boat for years so not that worried of resale.

Also best time to buy new. Boat shows in Jan-Feb, End of year, or ? I'm in no rush and would be looking to pay cash.

Likes dislikes of what you have or have found boat/motors? We have had 38 good years out of our current boat with minimal work done, I'm assuming these days are gone with the controls on boats but more time boating less time getting fixed is desired. But want to get a quality rig that I can pass on to my kids just as my father did for me.

Thanks for any input!

Steve

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help me spend money wisely. New Fish and Ski replacing a 1975 Starcraft Superspo

I think seating for 7 may be tough on a tin fish n ski. Most are more focussed on fishing.

The most I have seen offer is 4 swivel seats in the rear, plus 2 jump seats along side the motor, but not much in the bow for seating.

I like the layout of the Alumacraft Trophy or Competitor, or Dominator series, in the 185 Sport model.
Trophy model is also available in 195 and 205 versions.

And they will rig them with an E-Tec.

Alumacraft : 2012 Models