Help Me Identify Boat

Wasabibuzz

Cadet
Hi! I'm thinking about buying a boat for my husband's 50th Bday. I know NOTHING about boats - ugh. This one I'm looking at says it's a 1967 Shasta. I can find any information on this manufacturer. Any ideas? Maybe it's a defunct company? Any help is appreciated. I'm going to look at it this weekend and want to do some research first...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1

fhhuber

Lieutenant
You need someone who knows about old boats to go with you to look at it...

Consider the idea of buying a 50 year old car... You'd want a good mechanic to check it over.

You want a good boat expert to look over that 50 yr old boat before even thinking of making a down payment.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

First - "super-cool-wife" points for buying your husband a boat. :thumb:

Shasta was likely one of a zillion companies in the 60s through the 80s building trailer boats that has gone under. VERY common for that to have happened. The pictures don't do too much for us to help you with any sort of buying decision, but they do suggest that the outboard is rather new and that the boat is rather well kept. Those are "pluses" for anyone buying a boat.

There's some really good stuff HERE to look at. With used boats, condition is the key. At that age, it really doesn't matter who made it anymore ... it's more about how well it was kept. If you can hire a local marine mechanic to look over it for you - or tow it over to them - it may be a few bucks well spent.

Wasabibuzz

Cadet
Thanks! This makes sense. I also found that handy link, so thanks for that as well. I'm bringing a long-time boating friend with me that can hopefully help me give it a once over. It's a 14' boat with a 25hp outboard. That's should be fine for lake fishing and camping here in Oregon.

He's asking $3,200. A friend told me it's the Wild West with pricing and offer him a lot less. I don't know... I guess it's just a matter of what you want to pay for a 50 year old boat.

My brother has a ton of experience with boats, but lives back east. He called the seller yesterday and asked questions. He obviously didn't see the boat, but thinks it may be in good shape. We shall see...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1

southkogs

Staff member
From the photos, it looks very nice. $3,200 might be a little high, and I would agree - go in offering less. However, markets kinda' determine price and sometimes paying a little more for something well kept is worth it.

Sounds like you're on a good track.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Agree with the others. If you have someone with experience with boats like that, that's good. If it isn't obviously just covered up (new carpet, etc) to hide sins (rot, etc), you may have found a gem. But have it look at very carefully. Here's hoping it's a good one, they're out there