Help! Idle Problem

fernandinian

Cadet
The idle speed knob on my 9.9 1992 Mariner will not increase the idle speed by turning normally clockwise. Mechanic said "some parts are broken". It starts and idles at low speed with a few pulls. What is my problem?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help! Idle Problem

I think that motor has the same idle/choke knob found on my merc. They are plastic, and do break easily. There is a plastic cam in the carb,that rides the plastic shaft using plastic threads.The engineer who designed it (or the money man that overode him) should be strung up with good stainless wire rope!<br />The part is still availabe thru Mercury tho,under the QUICKSILVER lable.<br />Right behind the cowling where it goes thru it, there is a retainer clip that is removed by pulling straight up,using some good needlenose pliers. The plastic cam has a retainer screw (actually made of metal--imagine that! ) that is loosened.The plastic knob with plastic shaft will then pull out the front of the cowling, leaving the plastic cam inside the carb. If plastic cam is damged, you must then remove the carb to get it out to be replaced.<br />Good luck.