Help Identify Engine

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class
only thing I can get off the motor is SEAHORSE 25, and the pictures...

forward, reverse pull start. photo.jpgphoto (1).jpg

mark1961

Ensign
Re: Help Identify Engine

Based purely on the cowling, i think '71 may be pretty close.....i dont see anything in your earlier pics which looks remotely like a 25hp johnson model number.....if im correct it should be either 25R71S or 25RL71S depending on the shaft length.

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there anywhere else on the engine I can look for the model???

mark1961

Ensign

Those are the two places in your first pics.....its possible the transom clamps have been changed and are from a 18 hp evinrude.....the ground off part looks as if it could be the start of 18202R ('72 18hp evinrude) but thats only a stab in the dark.

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome thanks mark, I did a little research, and it looks like a 1971... You know the gas/oil ratio???

mark1961

Ensign

Awesome thanks mark, I did a little research, and it looks like a 1971... You know the gas/oil ratio???

It has a roller bearing crank so to me that means 50:1 would be a fairly safe assumption.....if you still have doubts run it at 25:1 until you are sure.....wont hurt it.

Also, could it be that this motor is in fact an 18hp evinrude with a johnson 25hp cowling?

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

very well could be, i have nothing on this engine other than the numbers given... it does have power tho, and pushes that boat pretty damn well... the prop is either a 6x6 or 9x9 so maybe that can help..

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well...the serial number on the block doesn't match the one on the transom plate...

Is the block paint color E'rude blue? Maybe it is an 18?

Chuck

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The shell, lower cowl and lower unit all look like early 1970s Johnson. The tiller bracket and clamps look like Evinrude. Not uncommon - the motor is about 40 years old. Stuff breaks. They get repaired with what is available. There's about 20 years worth of Johnrude 22-cuber parts that have a lot of interchangeability between them.

And yes, your motor would be 50:1 as it is clearly newer than '64, which is the cut-off for the 24:1 mix...

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

it looks like a freak motor, the guy who i bought it from was a real florida redneck so god knows what the real story on it is... all i know is it pushes this 14 foot carolina skiff pretty hard...

ill send a pic of the whole motor tonight, 360 view...

im glad its 50:1, any oil preference??? i love quicksilver tc3 low ash stuff... expensive but works good...

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey kalamazoo, im from grand rapids :)

yeah the owner had a ford f350 in the back yard with a cummins and a chevy bed on it... dudes got issues lol...

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

Howdy neighbor. Why does it say you're from Orlando? Winter residence?
hey kalamazoo, im from grand rapids :)

yeah the owner had a ford f350 in the back yard with a cummins and a chevy bed on it... dudes got issues lol...

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

nah, just moved here... used to live on the thornapple river, had a cool little dock and a cool little bass boat... just too damn cold for me.. i like warm weather and hot chicks... its hard to find both up there :)

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've kayaked the Thornapple 2-3 times. Nice lazy little river. It does take a bit of gettin' used to the weather up here but it's plenty hot today - 94˚. Good luck with your Johnyrude. Hope it's not a salt water engine.
nah, just moved here... used to live on the thornapple river, had a cool little dock and a cool little bass boat... just too damn cold for me.. i like warm weather and hot chicks... its hard to find both up there :)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Well the cowl is 1971, either a 20hp or 25hp

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol, it says 25 on her... i didnt go home last night, (got lucky) so ill recheck the motor tonight... nah its pretty good, no salt use...

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

well had my neighbor come look at the motor and he says its a johnson or evinrude fastwin looks like 25 hp he said... he tweaked the carb a little and the boat damn near hit 30 mph.... so im guessing its a 25 hp lol...

anyhow, the prop is pretty chewed up and looks original... its a 9x9 prop with a shear pin and cone... my question is i have a 14 foot carolina skiff flats boat, and want to go as fast as i can hence the river where i live takes around 30 minutes to get to where i wanna go... could i prop this bad boy with a 9x11 and get faster top end??? she gets on plane super fast and takes off like a rocket...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

what rpms are you turning. if it is a 25hp rpm range is 5000-6000, if it is a 20hp 4000-5000.