Help, grease seal broken?

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, I'm new to boating/trailers. Noticed today the seal is broken and leaked out a bunch of grease. How do I fix it/what do I need to replace?

Attachments

• photo245227.png
    photo245227.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • photo245228.png
    photo245228.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I believe thats one of the safety lube style caps, it should be just a rubber insert into the front of the hub and should pop out. replace the plug, how ever if the hub is over filled it will sling out a bit,,, pop out the plug and scoop out a bit of grease , clean the plug and re install and see if that cures it, i have had that happen a few times on mine

R055

Chief Petty Officer
So I can just grab a flat head and pop the rubber piece out and put a new one?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can peel it out with a screwdriver. Replace those things every couple years. They dry out in the sun. I have a whole bunch of spares for my trailer that has that type axle.

You may want to pull that hub if you haven't lately and make sure there is no water in there from the back seal. I am not a huge fan of these axles and prefer to use buddy bearings.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Under that cap there should be a grease fitting. That is how you grease the bearings.
I dont think you will be able to use bearing buddies on that axle either.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Alright thanks guys, do they got these rubber things at autozone?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Under that cap there should be a grease fitting. That is how you grease the bearings.
I dont think you will be able to use bearing buddies on that axle either.
Might be possible if you take off the grease fitting.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
nope,
They have them here at iboats though.
They should be Dexter ez-lube caps.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guy, any regular stores carry them? I'm trying to go out this Saturday or Sunday as its suppose to be 85-90 degrees both days.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys, owning a boat would suck without iboats forum and a mechanically inclined neighbor.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Update: went to six robblies(local ez loader authorized dealer) and turns out I had some odd size rubber plug. I had to buy the new ez lube dexter plugs as well as that metal piece it connects to. But it's all good now.