Help freeing up steering cable

cyber

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello All
New member, first post.
Fantastic site, a plethora of valuable info!!:cool:

I just stole (almost) a 1984 16' Thundercraft w/ a 60 H.P. Merc outboard.
Needs new decking and probably transom rebuild too, but motor runs great
and came on a 1990 Load-Rite trailer in mint shape, got the package for a
whopping $300.;)

Anyhoo, enough gloating, my question is about the steering cable. It's the OEM cable steering and it's VERY stiff!!:eek: I can turn it full bank-to-bank but it's definitely "Armstrong" steering. How do I disconnect/remove the cable so I can slowly work some kind of lube through it?? (my plan is to hang it vertically and continue to pour something through it :confused:)
Do you folks think that'll work or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new cable?? (assuming I can still find one) Which will likely cost me as much as I paid for the whole package!!!:mad:

Any feedback greatly appreciated, after reading numerous threads on this site,
I feel I can restore this little gem myself w/o TOO much trouble!
Thanx in advance, Bill.:)

cyber

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Help freeing up steering cable

Thanx-a-bunch John!!:)

So I guess my best bet is to start by disconnecting the 'rack' from
behind the helm and loosening the 2 threaded fasteners from either
side of the tilt tube and forcing some concoction of cleaner through
the complete length of the cable to get rid of the old 'crap'.
Does that sound right??:confused: Is it really difficult to remove
the entire cable from the boat?? I loosened off the 2 fittings from the
tilt tube and that's when I decided to 'force' the wheel and got it
moving. (I was leery of forcing it at 1st)
I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the cable from the shaft that runs
through the tilt tube, so that's when I decided to start this thread for advice.
The thread from 'Scream & Fly' had a wealth of information but they all seem
to revolve around the cable staying in the boat and some type of 'luber'
forcing cleaning solution and subsequently lightweight oil into the cable.
If this is the general concensus guess I'll get to work creating a 'luber',
I like the 'non-welded' version myself.;)
Thanx for the feedback!!:cool:

j_martin

Admiral

I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the cable from the shaft that runs through the tilt tube.

The shaft that runs through the tilt tube is an integral part of the cable. It's easiest done this way.

Leave the helm together for now. Remove the cable from the engine by withdrawing it straight from the starboard side of the tilt tube. Usually you have to dismount and "swing" the engine to do that. That's easily done with a tree, a come-a-long, and a lifting ring for the engine. An ordinary engine hoist works very well if you have a slab to work on.

Removing the engine will also give you a chance to take a peek at the carnage inside the transom through the mounting holes, but I digress.

With the cable out of the engine, clean up the end as best you can. Extend it by turning the helm full starboard. Any garbage you leave on the steering rod will be forced into the cable if you try to clean it.

Then you disconnect the helm end and lay it in a drain pan to catch the goop that's going to be coming out of the cable. There's no need to completely remove it from the boat.

We've found that about the best cleaner is SeaFoam, and the best lube is 5w30 full synthetic oil. We've also found that if the cable jacket is intact, and you can get any motion on the cable at all, the odds of a successful clean and lube are very high.

Read that entire thread at Scream and Fly, and you'll learn a lot from about a dozen different viewpoints.

If this is the general concensus guess I'll get to work creating a 'luber', I like the 'non-welded' version myself.

Necessity is the mother of Invention.......

and Poverty is the father.

hope it helps
John

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome to I-Boats. I agree with John that your first step should be removing your engine. IMHO finding out everything you need before you get started will help your project along. If you need a transom and floor, chances are the stringers may need replacing also. There are some great posts in the restoration section and plenty of great people on here to help with good advice.If your going to attempt the whole project, prioritizing has helped me greatly. If I'm waiting on a part for one part of my project,weather hold-ups, ect, I use that time to take care of the things like your cable, wiring,yada yada. Good luck with your new(sorta) boat and keep us posted about your progress and decisions.