Help Determine Source of Leak from Video

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need help determing the cause of this leak on the video. This is the best angle I could get the camera down into. I was expecting it to be the shift cable bellows, but it appears to be above the U-Joint and I think the shift cable bellows is below the U-joint.

I'm not really sure what I am looking at. I think the big hose is the water inlet? But the hose on the outside of the transom is much much smaller.

Please take a look at this 60 second video and let me know what you think. Thanks

Bellows Leak WMV Video

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help Determine Source of Leak from Video

Remove the drive and inspect bellows. Could be the water inlet bushing, or the steering arm seals.

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't find the water inlet bushing in any of the assembly diagrams. I have looked in the Engine and Outdrive service manuals, but can't seem to locate it. I think I need to get one of those mirrors-on-a-stick under there to get a better look.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

around the middle, right side.
87f8c3ab.jpg

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So after some more searching, I think my leak may be the steering arm as suggested (and I mostly ignored). It appears wet, but I don't see a steady flow of water. My bilge pump is turning on every 2 hours or so maybe pumping 2-3 gallons out, but that is a rough guess. I am going down tomorrow mornign to verify this is where it is coming from. This is probably very bad since its getting salt water all over the entire transom unit. My bilge also doesn't get rid of at least 2 inches of water at the very stern of the boat which is only 2" away from the bottom of the oil pain.

I don't know if I can do this job middle of summer, so I'm looking to see if there are any tricks I can potentially do to maybe keep me out for another 2 months until I can spend all winter on this. For example, I learned one is to torque the two bolts on the gimbal ring to 55 ft lbs, which I was supposed to do every year during yearly maintenance.

Another idea I came up with, is it possible to add some silicone around the underneath side of the top of the gimbal ring? Even if I have to do this every week. Any possibility in this? Any other tips?