Help deciding which lowrance sidescan products are best for me

Pbguy420

Cadet
ok guys im finally beyond the actual boat repair process and now on to upgrading and getting it perfected for my fishing desires.

im looking at getting a lowrance hds system with sidescan and need advice to help me make my purchases correctly..

i am primarily an inshore/freshwater guy, but will be venturing out offshore once i get more time on the boat (21 ft seapro bay boat) and i want a good system to fit my needs. most of what ive fished so far in my new area (coastal nc) is relatively shallow 30 ft is the deepest ive been in yet running the rivers and icw.

im not on a super tight budget, but money can always be used for other things, so i want to do this right, cost effectively.

obviously with this type of fishing AT THIS TIME, i rarely troll from the helm... when fishing i drive to my spot, scope the area and fish from bow running my trolling motor.... (i would do a bit more scoping out of my areas with the sidescan, but in really skinny water, usually 3-10 ft, and my simple garmin 238 (black white gps and fishfinder, with really low definition) i usually just get to an area that looks good, drop trolling motor and begin working my way around) note i dont have a bow fishfinder yet, just the 238 at the center console. so when fishing from the bow im limited in not knowing whats under me without running back to the helm which gets really annoying, especially in the tighter rivers and creeks with my big boat....

i want a good system for all around use, finding good stucture and bottom info from both the helm originally (also having gps there) then when i drop my trolling motor and start casting from the bow i still need to be able to know my depth and such....

1 -now what im concerned with is how big i want these units (hds 7,8 10 etc). i want a big one for the helm, but then i still want good size on the bow. ive searched around and seen people usually do an 8 or 10 on the helm and a 5 or 7 on the bow... my question is how well do yall think that will work? i will be standing 90 percent of the time, and dont want to be bending over every time i want to see whats getting shown on the graph... in addition i will likely be running the bow unit on solely fishfinding (be it standard or sidescan) as i wont need the gps active while im trolling around, and will likely only use the gps from the bow to mark locations. while on the helm i will likely be running a 50 50 split of gps and fishfinding. so that will give me full screen fishfinding on the smaller bow unit which will offset the smaller screen size....

i need to choose a good compromise between unit size, obviously with stucture scan screen size is very important... i dont want to go oversized on the bow making me have to purchase a smaller helm unit or vise versa.... i just need tips on which sizes to get for each application...

3- since these units will be networked, do i only need to buy maps for one unit? or both? or can i simply copy the map from one sd to a blank sd? (imagine that its likely write protected)

4- looking at the sidescan transducer. is that it looks like it mounts to the bottom of the hull rather than on an arm flush with the hull like other transducers ive used. is that correct? i dont like the idea of having it on the bottom of the boat when i bump stuff in this skinny water on a regular basis.
reccomendations would be very appreciated.

5- how many and what type of transducers will i need for this two unit setup? i want both to have full standard and sidescan functionality. im not sure with the networking how that will work, can i run my bow unit off of a trolling motor mounted transducer still or will the system only run off one transducer when networked. to clarify, i dont want my bow unit showing me whats at the rear transducer is picking up! also, should i spend the money on a second sidescan transducer for the trolling motor or is the coverage of the rear one going to be ok.... so basically do i for a two unit system do i need
2 standard and 1 sidescan
or 2 standard and 2 sidescan transducers

ckalupa

Seaman
Re: Help deciding which lowrance sidescan products are best for me

Will answer in the numbers that you have indicated.

1. - My opinion, get the biggest you can afford. The HDS 8 and 10 have extra buttons that the 5 and 7 don't which may make some things easier to access. I have a bass boat and have a 10 in front and a 5 at the helm with a 7 on the back for the person fishing back there to watch. If you look at a Cabelas bargain cave you can find these reduced from the regular retail prices. I have the HDS-10 on my express cruiser along with all the other Lowrance toys (3G radar, sonic hub, Sirius WX). Both have the structurescan on them. The Structure scan unit also serves as a network hub so plugging in more is easy - all reading from the transducers. The bigger screens allow you to also run a 4-split screen for down scan, side scan, chart, etc all at the same time.

(no 2)

3 - each will need its own chart maps chip to be effective.

4 - The structurescan has a bracket for the back of the boat. It mounts off the back not underneath. You can also buy a through-hull (I am told) from Lowrance.

5 You need the two transducers - one for the sonar, and one for the Structurescan. I have a third mounted on my front mounted trolling motor that I can also access (has temp so I may use it at times but that motor comes out of the water when I am moving faster so that is why I like being able to select transducers. If you want to know what is up front and not in the back then you will need to consider how that transducer would be mounted if it is your only one.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

All depends on the cash you want to spend--as the previous poster said--get the biggest screen you can get--you can see things better. Your ducer mounts on the TM or the rear of the boat. You only need one unless you are going get a switch where you can have one head unit and switch from one transducer to another (one up front and one out back) Hummingbird just came out with a 360 degree transducer (separate from the one that comes with the unit) It's pretty cool--and PRICEY. On the maps you are correct on all three counts--if you are networking--your maps should go from one to the other, you can copy, etc. Good luck!!

chriscraft254

Commander

Call Jim at BoeMarine.com, he will answer any and all question you have and beat anybody's price, period. very knowledgeable. Now that the gen II is out, there even better than they were before. I agree that size matters if your looking to see it from far away. I have two hds -7 and they are plenty big enough, but both of them are at the helm. I use one split with radar/chartplotter and one for side scan/down scan/depth finder.

You can split the 7s three ways, but its to small if you do. If your going to want to be looking at sidescan, downscan and depth/fish finder on one screen, get the hds-10. You can also do chart overlay. Radar overlay etc.

Check out Lowrances site for the latest rebates also, they are running some now.

ckalupa

Seaman

To clarify what KDavid said - you need at least one but if you want structure scan and sonar capabilities, then you will need to mount both types of transducers (both can be transom mounted) and if you mount them within a foot of each other the HDS will give a reasonable overlay from both if you want to operate it that way. The Structure scan transducer can be mounted directly to the hull but both of them that I bought came with a metal bracket for transom mounting which is how I mounted it on both of my boats.

But, one transducer will not do both structure and sonar as they are two different types of transducers.

Brain1

Cadet

Dont buy the HDS 5, its too Small,. Get the HDS 10 if you can.
Get one with GPS, and the Deluxe SD Card.