Help am i screwed?

i have a 1982 115hp merc 6cyl 20 inch shaft drive witha 26 pitch 3 blade stainless prop. just installed this motor a month ago had it out once with no problems changed the gear oil before i had it out.
took the boat to the river today left the landing went about a half-mile turned around quatermile back the way i came and the motor started sputtering out vibrating and cavitating threw it in nuetral, it stayed running thought i lost my prop, trimmed up seen the prop through it in forward and all it would do is rev up, reverse same thing. trolling motor back to the landing put it on the trailer, tried it same thing. Took it home drained the lower unit, and there was plenty of oil in there, was a little cloudy but not bad at all. Took a magnet to the oil, and pulled up less than a pinch of salt. Put it in reverse and the prop is locked spins a quarter turn each way, nuetral prop spins free, forward spins and clicks to the right and locked the other way. Oh yeah and when i drained the lower unit took the top screw out first and it did not seem like it was under pressure, not sure if that is good or not, just heard that could have been a problem from my neighbor. Possibly the nylon shifter thingy? and if i do take the lower unit off which gear do i want to be in i always forget, its been awhile. Thanks for the help, sorry its a lot to read but i want all the info i can give out there.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Help am i screwed?

Sounds like you may have spun the hub in the prop.

Mi duckdown

Commander

If your lowerend lube is a little cloudy after a 1/4 mile you need to figure that out.
Did you replace the vent/drain gaskets when changing lube in lowerend?
The nylon shifter THINGY?
Have no idea what you talking about WILLIS.

what would entail having spun the hub in the prop, easy fix? what am i looking for?
Also the nylon shifter thingy im talking about, sorry dont know all the part names,its been 2 boats ago since i took off a lower unit. The nylon spacer thing thats about an inch long with a notch on it; sits on top of the shift shaft i think?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

A 26 pitch on a inline is awful big unless that tin can is very light.:) I run a 26p chopper on my inline buts its a lil 13ft boat:cool:

Well it finally stopped raining here in wisco, so I was able to do some poking around. Shift cables all look good, took the prop off and started it up. shaft for the prop does not turn in forward or reverse. While the motor is running I grabbed the prop shaft and its the same as not running nuetrel shaft spins free, forward clicks to the right, reverse shaft spins quarter turn both ways. So im guessing problems inside the lower unit, just have no idea what.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Could be several things. When you drop the LU, before taking it apart see if you can shift the gears by turning the shaft. If that works I'd say the problem is elsewhere. If not you'll have to see what the shift cam, cam follower or even the spring in the clutch-dog.