Help: adding a fwc to 4.3 merc with dry joint

Tmakaro

Seaman
I'm in the process of adding a San Juan fwc kit to my 2010 4.3 merc. Kit is mc-340. The instructions say to remove the hoses that are attached to the bottom of the risers which I did. Now I stuck my finger in the hole expecting my finger to go down into the top of the manifold. To my surprise the hole was blocked. Am I supposed to replace the gasket with one that doesn't have the hole blocked? There are two dry joint gaskets in the kit but there is nothing in the instructions that says to use them.

The kit is a 1/2 kit if that matters.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Help: adding a fwc to 4.3 merc with dry joint

I'm in the process of adding a San Juan fwc kit to my 2010 4.3 merc. Kit is mc-340. The instructions say to remove the hoses that are attached to the bottom of the risers which I did. Now I stuck my finger in the hole expecting my finger to go down into the top of the manifold. To my surprise the hole was blocked. Am I supposed to replace the gasket with one that doesn't have the hole blocked? There are two dry joint gaskets in the kit but there is nothing in the instructions that says to use them.

The kit is a 1/2 kit if that matters.

yes.

One quick question. do you have risers and elbows or just elbows?

attachment.php

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0

Tmakaro

Seaman

I have just the elbow and they are taller than what is in the picture are are the dry joint style.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Correct. You need to plug that hole, replace the elbow gaskets with the full-flow gaskets supplied in the kit... (The drawing was just for the correct terminology. Too many people using the wrong name for parts gets confusing. If we all call the same parts the same name (the one the manufacturer uses)... everybody happy :D)

Chris...........

Tmakaro

Seaman

Correct. You need to plug that hole, replace the elbow gaskets with the full-flow gaskets supplied in the kit... (The drawing was just for the correct terminology. Too many people using the wrong name for parts gets confusing. If we all call the same parts the same name (the one the manufacturer uses)... everybody happy :D)

Chris...........

Thanks, so tonight I pull off those risers. er, I mean elbows :)

Tmakaro

Seaman

Well that wasn't so bad. The new dry joint system is a lot better IMO