Help a newbie - 97 CC or Glastron

FlyGuy65

Cadet
Total newbie here. I want to get a used boat under $10K to bring the family of 4 ( 5 and 7 yr olds) out for some shallow lake fun. The goal is family fun - maybe some tubing, cruising, skiing (later), etc. Garage storage a plus. Deck boats and pontoons are nice, but for now I'm watching bowriders.

Two boats that have caught my eye in the local sales section:

1) 1997 Chris Craft Bowrider, 135HP, Volvo Penta In/Out Drive, Cover & bimini top 17.5', VERY clean, great condition. Very low hours!! AM/FM CD, depth finder,
livewells, all accessories included, nice trailer.
Price: 6,300

2) 1997 Glastron 17.5 ft 175 SE
ONLY 195 hours
V haul open bow
am/fm/CD
NEW Rapter 17 Pitch prop
140 hp MerCruiser inboard/outboard engine...starts like a charm

$6,000 (but a further drive, so price is the same).

I'm going to the local boat show this weekend and asking around the dock to try to get some 'wisdom' (and currently taking the boater safety course).

In the meantime, does anyone have any basic advice regarding these two boats? Is one just clearly a better boat, or are they built for different purposes? I understand that the current condition is critical, but as they were originally built what are the big differences? Reputations?

Thanks for your help and patience! :)

John

PS: Please let me know if this belongs in another forum

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help a newbie - 97 CC or Glastron

If the condition of the boats is equal I vote CC all the way. Better built boat and VP i superior to mercruiser outdrive.