Help! 2001 90HP Looper Pinging then dies-no spark

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Motoring along and all of a sudden, pre-detonation it sounds like and loss of power. Then no spark. 30 seconds later, fires right up and runs for a while, then same thing. Sometimes it wont start at all, until i get it on the trailer then fires right up. VRO fuel is connected, but I pre-mix so the oil side is plugged. Temp is about 130-135 when this happens. Usually about 3500 rpm or so. I dont see any chafed or shorting wires anywhere! Champion plugs look good, have new plug wires. Tested the kill wire circuit and it passed that. Really scratching my head. When she runs, she is smooth, quiet and very powerfull. Just this intermittent pinging then loss of power that is puzzling me. Any ideas? I am thinking power pack since it is one pack for all cylinders. Your thoughts? Besides keeping the VRO wire harnesses protected, should I of done something with the wires since this model has the onboard system monitor?

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Help! 2001 90HP Looper Pinging then dies-no spark

Good Lord! Don't scare me like that!!! My compression before and after is 120 on all 4 cylinders. I am as sure as can be with pulling a spark plug and seeing no spark. Then without doing a darn thing, maybe 5 minutes will go by, and it fires right up. I know i should have a fancy spark tester machine thing, but I was only able to pull the plugs for now and see no spark.

daselbee

Commander

OK...roger that. Just wanted to be sure. Good luck.

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The guy i got the motor from said he couldnt get it to start due to a hole in the oil tank and the wiring killing the spark. I am unsure of that theory. I thought the VRO is just going to send ya warnings. I got it to fire right up once mounted on my boat with premix 50:1 and like i said, she runs really great. Just cant figure where to look first to solve my issue. I did notice he removed the thermostats which causes her to run about 120 at low speeds and only up to about 130-135 at about 3/4 to wide open. I read I should be more towards 145-155 or so temp-wise but killing the spark? I would hate to throw a 230 dollar powerpack on her if the problem might lie elsewhere...

clanton

Rear Admiral

What kind of meters do you have? Do you still have 120 all cylinders? VRO pump and oil tank wires disconnect and ends sealed? Thermostats need to be installed. Model number of engine. Will tell you how to check pack after reply.

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a compression guage but not sure of the name. Its new though. It was between 117 and 120 on all cyclinders. I only sealed off the oil injection "in" port line with a rubber cap and hose clamp to ensure no leaks. As far as the VRO wires... I just unplugged the one plug, I think it is a 3 wire plug and left the rest alone. Model is a J90PLSI.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Disconnect the 2 wires going to the oil tank. You need a multimeter. remove the plastic cover rear of engine, this will expose the ignition coils. Start engine with engine at idle check the voltage to the primary side of the coils. wire color is orange/green and orange/blue. 4 places to check 2 on each coil. Meter set 300 AC volts. Voltage must be same for the 4 cylinders. post the numbers. Do the same test 2000 rpms. post numbers. You at FT. Rucker?

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, I am here in Savannah, Ga at Hunter Army Airfield. I don't know which wires go to the oil reservoir because my boat doesnt have that tank. I always pre-mixed. I will check the manual to ID those wires and do the test as you request in a few hours, and will post the results.

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I tried the test, but I think I might need a DVA adapter. The numbers are all over the place. I have the option to set it to 200 or 750VAC. I chose both. I mostly see negative 000 or a neg 1 when it holds steady. I did see 318 for a brief moment on number 4 but like I said, the readings are all over the place, but mostly very low or neg numbers.

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is so frustrating! I have turned people away who want to buy this whole set up for 3000 dollars but i refuse to sell something until I know in my heart that I am handing over a good / fully working set up. Got another one comming today at 3pm est.

clanton

Rear Admiral

What kind of meter, do not use auto ranging.

clanton

Rear Admiral

you have pm.

trimmers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got your PM, I will later on today, thank you. My volt meter is just a cheap one. Doesn't give an option to auto range or anything fancy. I simply stuffed the red lead up the boot and grounded the black lead while everything was still connected and the engine running.