HELP!! 1988 125 hp force tilt trim questions

Rnnurse

Recruit
I am needing help with a tilt/trim. I have replaced the trim motor and pump and I can not get any pressure. I have gotten the air out and worked the motor up and down until tight. I still can not get it to work!!!! I would greatly appreciate ANY help at all. I can not think of anything else to check. A marine shop told me to look for a bleed screw? Any suggestions:eek:

1340rick

Recruit
Re: HELP!! 1988 125 hp force tilt trim questions

the trim is self bleeding,i usally work the trim several times to make sure,do you see any leaks

RRitt

Captain

You just fill the reservoir with ND30 motor oil. If it does not specifically say "non detergent" on the can then it is not the right motor oil. An 1950's style drivethru katsup bottle works great for getting oil into that little filler hole. just keep filling and running the motor up-down. It is self bleeding. don't be alarmed over some minor foaming, it is natural.

that said -
if you problem was gradual bleed down then a pump should fix it.
if your problem was complete failure to lift then it could also be a ram.

that said -
If your pump - aka valve body - is new model with hex keyed plugs then there is also significant chance that it is defective. I am having terrible quality control issues with the Taiwan valve bodies this year. It is bad enough that I am going to start individually testing them before I ship.

tnshurtm

Recruit

RRit,

I just bought a new valve body with the hex keyed plugs and can't seem to get the system working.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=567605

How do you test the pump to make sure it is working? I filled the reservoir with fluid and removed the line going to the back of stage 1 and figured if I ran the pump, it would pump fluid out of that line first. I didn't get any fluid out of that hole.

Thank you,

Marc

RRitt

Captain

was it actually new? was it under $250?

if so the it was the WAI-Arrowhead product and it might just be doa. a ton of those will leak and drip out of the plug, about one in five will have very slow bleed down and about one in ten is doa.

1) make sure that the armature is seated. this is extremely difficult to do on some engines since the oil tubes are in your way. don't tighten the screws more than initial contact. wiggle and half turn more. then bump motor to power and listen to heap if it makes humming or bumping noise. if humming then tighten screws to snug but not torques and try again. if still humming then tighten up and fill with oil. Better yet, take the trim motor off your boat and attach the valve body while on your toolbench. I see a lot of rounded off armatures, cracked mounting ears, and stripped threads because people try being intuitive mechanics. It's better to be careful and methodical.

2) now that the armature is engaged plug the trim ports and only connect tilt ram. it is the most forward and rearmost side ports.

3) see if it works. if not then you either have bad pump or bad ram. If pump is new Mallory or rebuilt then ram is primary suspect. If pump is asian aftermarket then pump is prime suspect.

i have some instructions for installing pump if you want copy just email a request - short & sweet with no attachments. rritt01 @ yahoo.com

tnshurtm

Recruit

Thanks RRitt,

It was new, from Caltric. ($145).

It is humming. I thought the armature seating might be a problem and actually took the pump motor off and manually turned the pump with a long flat screwdriver. I am sure that the armature is seated properly. It hums.

I see what you mean by plugging the ports that go to the trim. I was assuming that trying to test the trim first was the way to go.

I have filled it with Trim fluid and disconnected the port that goes to the back of the trim and expected it to spit fluid if I ran the pump. It didn't.

I also tested the ram by raising the motor (by hand), disengaging the ram from the motor, plugging the bottom port (sealing air in there) and pushing down on the ram. I am not sure if my strengh in anyway compares to the weight the motor puts on it, but I could feel the air compressing and it didn't seem to bleed down. Does that sound like a proper test of the ram?

Thank you!

tnshurtm

Recruit

Does it matter if I use 30 weight NT or T/T fluid with this system?

Thank you

RRitt

Captain

Does it matter if I use 30 weight NT or T/T fluid with this system?

Thank you

yeah, but not at this point. sounds like a DOA pump.

when you get the replacement do yourself a favor and replace the end plug orings with high quality size 015. The factory uses a very low grade oring and the check valves have very bad dripping problems. Its worth fixing even before you do anything else.

tnshurtm

Recruit

Thank you. Once get the replacement and change out the o rings, which fluid should I use?

RRitt

Captain

Thank you. Once get the replacement and change out the o rings, which fluid should I use?

i don't know. They get you through summer and that's about all you can ask out of a $100 pump. Hydraulic jack oil is probably in stock at most auto stores. if the engine bucks and bounces then drain it and try ND30.