Help! 1984 115hp mercury with numerous issues

chutai

Recruit
Hello, I recently bought a boat and it came with a 84 115 v6 mercury "power of tower". Since I bought it the motors been running sluggish. I put in about 7 gallons of premium gas and forgot to mix oil. While running it kept dying under load. It idles just fine but when I put gas in it goes for a little bit and dies. We were out for 2hrs messing around with the boat. When I got home I finally "estimated" the amounted of oil and poured it in. I heard the throttle issue could because of dirty carbs so i put some seafoam in the gas also and flushed it in my drive way.
So now..
When I start it I have be in neutral, then put the throttle lever all the way down, and then choke start it everytime, then let it idle a bit before putting it in gear or else it will die when in gear. Sometimes when I start it it will crank and just give up, and sometimes it wont even turn over after so many trys, it will just make a clicking noise. A few times when i pump the primer it would start, but sometimes it wouldnt do anything. Once its warmed up and in gear it seems to run ok.

Another problem is when im going at hi speed, sometimes the motor would "slip" and over rev. I heard it might be a spun prop?

Next problem is when i put it in reverse the motor starts to shake really bad and "knocks" - Bad gears? prop?.

Would a wrong oil/gas mixture cause these? i bought it in the winter and the guy i bought it from said it runs fine, unless of course he lied. He ran the motor for me to see also.

Sorry its a lot to read. Any ideas?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Help! 1984 115hp mercury with numerous issues

You need to do a compression test before you can ascertain anything else. No oil is pretty terrible for a 2 stroke
Your reverse problem could be a few things so hopefully you dont need to use reverse much.
A spun prop can cause a over rev or a bearing retainer nut not tightened sufficiently