Help! 197? 135hp Evinrude cant find serial or model # exact year?

CreekLifeFL

Recruit
Just bought a boat with a 135hp Evinrude and I cant find serial or model number and want to know exactly what year it is , i know they were only made between 73-76....I see several part numbers and on the intake? there is a sticker that says 1975 but wasnt sure that was an original part or if it was a part that may have been interchangable between years...would greatly appreciate help as I know nothing about engines and I want to buy a repair manual for the correct year...thank u ...this is my first post trying to figure out how to add pics

oldandintheway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help! 197? 135hp Evinrude cant find serial or model # exact year?

There should be a black model and serial number plate on the port side of the engine near the tilt/run lever.
It should say 135xxxxx, where the first x is the year.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Look at the core (freeze) plugs on the engine. One of them, if original, should carry the mod/ser numbers.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That plate would be attached to the port transom bracket.

Also, look for a core plug on the powerhead, usually on the top port side near the head gasket (looks like a quarter size freeze out plug) which may have the model and serial number on it.

oldandintheway

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The "original OMC" service manual can be found from kencook.com, outboardbooks.com. Other service manuals are here on iBoats.

CreekLifeFL

Recruit

I looked for the small plate before i posted this but dont see one .....ill have to figure out what these freeze plugs are and check those...thanks....i do have pics of some parts numbers but dont know if that can be of any help...still havent figured out how to post pics from my smartphone.....it keeps saying it failed....can u post straight from phone or do u have to do it from a computer?