Hello

inyourwake

Cadet
I know the boat needs repair.

1. I had the small bolt broken on the starter and my starter went out so I had my husband put a new starter in and this starter went out too. I figure without both bolts there is too much of a bind on the starter.

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How much should it cost me for this repair?

I'm kind of reading between the lines here. But if you think you may also have a bad head gasket, could it be you are getting water into a cylinder, then it causes a hydrolock of the engine, which could be what is breaking starter bolts?
The broken starter bolt could require the engine to be removed to get the broken bolt out. Then 2 new STARTER bolts need to be installed, and possibly a new starter and the front bracket if it originally had one. Hopefully it didn't damage the starter or flywheel ring gear.
Then you will need a gaskets for the head and manifold, and maybe a riser gasket. That could also be how water is getting into the engine (IF that is the root cause of the problem.)
It all takes time to do. I would

inyourwake

Cadet

I'm kind of reading between the lines here. But if you think you may also have a bad head gasket, could it be you are getting water into a cylinder, then it causes a hydrolock of the engine, which could be what is breaking starter bolts?
The broken starter bolt could require the engine to be removed to get the broken bolt out. Then 2 new STARTER bolts need to be installed, and possibly a new starter and the front bracket if it originally had one. Hopefully it didn't damage the starter or flywheel ring gear.
Then you will need a gaskets for the head and manifold, and maybe a riser gasket. That could also be how water is getting into the engine (IF that is the root cause of the problem.)

What is hydrolock?

inyourwake

Cadet

Also,the boat runs good.When I shut the engine down and try to restart it the starter will just make a spinning sound.The starter will work at first.

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't comment on the head gasket, but I had the small starter bolt break on my Mercruiser 140. A friend of mine with better mechanical skills than me came over with a left-hand drill bit, a right angle drill and an easy-out set. Working with a mirror and drop light, he was able to drill into the broken off bolt piece and use an easy out to remove it in about an hour total. But I would say there are too many variables to really estimate it. As Don said, if there isn't enough room to get in there, the engine may have to be pulled to get at that broken bolt. My bolt piece was not loose enough to be spun out by the left-hand drill bit, but a piece that was loose enough might spin out in 10 minutes. I would also use the starter-to-block mounting bracket or rig one up if the new starter is the permanent magnet, smaller type. And as Don said, you have to use the two starter bolts.

edit: btw, I had several starters fail because they were getting wet. The mounting may not be causing your starter failures (but you do need both bolts).