Hello all, I want to install a remote oil filter mount for my 4.3 V6, is it neccessary to replace the filter mount bypass valve?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ok getting tired of pulling the rear seats out to do the oil change on my old boat. I found that Michigan Motorz puts together an oil filter kit that works with the Volvo style manifolds I have on my 4.3. I asked them if it is necessary to change the oil filter bypass valve with a higher rated one and they said it isn't necessary, but I think that is counter to what I have read on here a few times. Thoughts? They sell these on their turn key Volvo Penta 4.3 packages. You can see it here:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would personally feel much better swapping out the 11 psi bypass check for the 30 psi bypass check.

if it was my motor, I would swap it.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
How easy/hard is that to do?
If I recall there is an allen head holding it in the oil filter housing , so it would be upside down when engine is installed. Take the filter off and use a mirror...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also the ones I see listed like at Summit Racing and others list applications for big blocks, are these all the same and do they all fit the small block applications as well?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Also the ones I see listed like at Summit Racing and others list applications for big blocks, are these all the same and do they all fit the small block applications as well?
All the same. I have a twin-filter unit on my big block as I am running a HVHP pump.

Transdap filter head and a Canton racing block adapter

I also have the local hydraulic company make up my oil lines vs buying the ones in the kit.

my home made parts washer used to have a single Transdap filter head and a used laundry tub & faucet with a carter fuel pump to circulate the mineral spirits from the pail underneath

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Scott for the info, I'm not sure why the guys at MM said you don't have to change it seeing as how they are selling engines set up this way.
It just pulls out and is a press fit?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks Scott for the info, I'm not sure why the guys at MM said you don't have to change it seeing as how they are selling engines set up this way.
It just pulls out and is a press fit?
On you motor, just inbolt the threaded block adapter and swap it. As @Scott06 stated, just don't drop in the bilge

Scott06

Vice Admiral
this is up in the oil filter adapter on my 5.0

i believe that is the relief valve.… not sure i understand the desire to remove it. Yes maybe a higher pressure relief is more desirable, but yours with some maintenance has held up well for 34 years …

i also regret not putting a remote filter when i repowered…

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The reason for the higher 30psi vs 11psi bypass is so the extra pressure drop on the remote lines and filter head don't open the bypass and the oil doesn't get filtered

Typical pressure drop across a filter is 4-7 psi. Adding the remote lines, etc adds about 4-5 psi

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That makes sense; I wonder how many people install these & don’t know that. Also I wonder if Merc & Volvo install the higher PSI valve on their remote set ups? It would be interesting if the kits sold by Mercruiser mention this in the instructions.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I did know that there is a bypass in the block & also in most filters; so let’s say you put in the higher psi block bypass; isn’t it still possible for the filter to bypass flow?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Most filters have a bypass. It keeps the media from being crushed.

The Wix website has a great cross reference of dimensions, and with and without a bypass

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I did know that there is a bypass in the block & also in most filters; so let’s say you put in the higher psi block bypass; isn’t it still possible for the filter to bypass flow?
You want it to bypass flow when the filter is restricted, otherwise engine is starved for oil

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Exactly; so as long as you make sure to use a filter with a bypass; is it ok to remove the block filter mount bypass or should you still install the 30 psi one?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Exactly; so as long as you make sure to use a filter with a bypass; is it ok to remove the block filter mount bypass or should you still install the 30 psi one?
It's fine to do one or the other. Remove the bypass in the block and always run a filter with appropriate bypass check, or switch the bypass to a 30 psi unit and run any filter you want