Hello! 1976 6 HP Evi won't troll

ousooners1baby

Seaman Apprentice
Motor starts great. I have taken the motor to mechanic and he said I need to buy a new or used motor when I found one because the carb was shot. I can troll around decently if I pull the choke out halfway. That gets old and it fouls the plugs and I can not run the motor right this way. Any advice or knowledge for me.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Hello! 1976 6 HP Evi won't troll

Mechanics advice seems a bit off. What has he done to it?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like a low speed circut problem in the carb.
How is the spark and compression, I would think if they are ok, at worst you would need to replace the carb.
You can usually rebuild the carb with good success.
I don't know if I would take it to that mechanic again.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Agreed, that was my next statement, carb's probably fine just needs to be CLEANED and kitted.

ousooners1baby

Seaman Apprentice

Yep it seemed like lazy advice to me. I believe he changed the water pump and I think that is it. It has been 2 years. I can't remember if he rebuilt it or not. Seems he did. I took the plugs out yesterday after running it a few hours and 1 plug was fouled looking. Had Junk on it and was black. Other plug was extremely dry and I wondered if it was even firing or getting gas. I know I am rambling but thank you for listening.

I could be wrong but I think he said "the jets were bad and it would cost more to fix than to buy another one. The needle valve adjustment on the front of the carb won't work. That is why the fuel -air mix was off; causing me to have to adjust the choke".

Does this sound legit?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The jets are not that expensive. If it were mine I would remove the carb and clean, paying attention to remove the expansion plugs and clean EVERY passage completely.

ousooners1baby

Seaman Apprentice

I thinks I will try to rebuild myself. Is the J6c the plug for this motor? What else do I need to buy for the carb other than the kit? Which kit is it? Float or no?

serial J0008413
model 66044

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Carb kit# 0439071, replacement of the float depends on the condition of the float.
J6C plug recommended.
Pay close attention when you disassemble the carb, follow directions in the kit.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

I thinks I will try to rebuild myself. Is the J6c the plug for this motor? What else do I need to buy for the carb other than the kit? Which kit is it? Float or no?

serial J0008413
model 66044

Here are couple of links that you can read until your kit comes in.

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC_6hp.htm (really a good read especially regarding removal of the carburetor)

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1976/6604A 1976/CARBURETOR/parts.html (breakdown of your carburetor)

Use this link for a condense manual

( You should order a full manual to get more explanation and understanding of your motor.) You can get your service manual here on iboats http://www.iboats.com/Outboard-Moto...6199823--**********.117352828--view_id.216505 or search ebay for year and model your outboard.

Public link with a list of condense manuals (free)

Go to: http://search.ebscohost.com/ <-- (click on this link)

Name: marshall

P.W. : public

click the square box labeled login

-----Go under the Small Engine Repair Reference Center

-----Then select Marine/Boat motors

Scroll through the list of makers/manufacturers

-----Select Johnson/ Evinrude

----- 6 hp Johnson/Evinrude manual(1964 to 1968) down near the bottom of the page (basically the same motor from this time period and your motor . (down near the bottom of the page)

or

----- OUTBOARD 2-40 HP, 1973-1990 (INCLUDES ELECTRIC MOTORS)

cajuncook1

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You need to remove it and check its condition, if damaged, replace it.

ousooners1baby

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I know this is stupid, but, unless someone took a hammer to it, it should be fine. I just can not get it to run right by adjusting it. Nothing ever changes when it is adjusted.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Sometimes a tinkerer can overtighten the needle into the seat and damages the tip.
Then it needs to be replaced.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If the rpm does not change at idle by turning the jet, you have a carb problem. Remove carb and clean. Remove core plug on top of carb and clean low speed circut completely. If the low speed jet tip is damaged because of over tightening, replace it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Motor starts great. I have taken the motor to mechanic and he said I need to buy a new or used motor when I found one because the carb was shot. I can troll around decently if I pull the choke out halfway. That gets old and it fouls the plugs and I can not run the motor right this way. Any advice or knowledge for me.

Frequently when a mechanic tells you its not worth fixing its because he knows that at $75 to $100 per hour for labor it won't take long to exceed the value of the motor. Then if there's any corrosion or stuck and/or broken bolts the cost goes higher yet.

These motors are very easy to work on and last a long time, so rebuild the carb and see how it runs.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Ill tell you that my 1967 6hp was running a bit off and sluggish. I checked and cleaned the points and checked thecoils, but it still ran off. I tried adjusting the low idle needle and not much changed. So, I took off the carb and cleaned it well, but forgot to remove the core plug. Installed a carb kit and ran a little better. BeTheKing here on the forum told me to go back and remove the core plug and reclean the carb and be sure to reclean the (fixed) fast jet and reinstall it and follow Joe Reeves carb adjustment and now she purrs like a kitten.

Those carburetors need to be clean inside, it doesn't take much!

check out the links that I provided. (after this experience your going to see it wasn't bad at all and you have walked away learning to care for your motor!

cajuncook1

ousooners1baby

Seaman Apprentice

Core plug?

i have the carb in my hands. I have the needle out and there is damage to the seat that is on the needle that the 7/16 set screw seals to. Now where can I find the core plug?

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Core plug?

i have the carb in my hands. I have the needle out and there is damage to the seat that is on the needle that the 7/16 set screw seals to. Now where can I find the core plug?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1976/6604A 1976/CARBURETOR/parts.html

Item number #10 in picture from link.

Check out the link from public library site that will get you to condensed manual for your motor. Supplied it in my first entry to this post.