Heavy corrosion on Lower unit

No Clew?

Cadet
I purchased a "rebuilt" 1983 'rude 115 last summer. Engine runs great, however i was sanding the old paint off the lower unit to throw some primer and fresh paint on and noticed that there are quite large "pock marks" in the metal itself. While i was chipping off the old paint, i could see that some type of bondo/epoxy had been used to fill these marks in but was now chipping off with the paint. Is there some kind of filler that i can apply to these before i repaint? I am not worried about it being the prettiest or the most perfect, I just do a little wakboarding and hanging in the cove near shore, not looking to replace the whole lower unit. thanks

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Heavy corrosion on Lower unit

I've never used it but I hear "marinetex" is good stuff.
JBJ

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Might want to check that your zinc is in good shape and making good contact as well. It doesn't seem like it's doing its job properly.

MAS

No Clew?

Cadet

Good call on the Zinc, i think the current one was mostly painted over, not too effective. I will scrape the paint off and check the condition and possibly replace it. Anyone else have input on the filler? Will the MarineTex bond to the aluminum on the lower unit? Or is there a better product for this specific use?

James R

Commander

I have been using using JB Weld successfully for some time. You have to ensure absolute cleanliness and take a sharp pick to clean out the nasty stuff in the cavities, much like a dentist, but it is very good. Use Denat alcohol to clean the surfaces and spread the JB where it needs to be. I use an air driven angle tool with a scotch brite type disc to cut the JB back. Can't see where I have been after painting.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Whatever filler you use, the aluminum needs to be cleaned to bright metal and primed with aluminum primer first.