Heat exchanger experts?

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just a curious question and may try.
Wondering if anyone one has tryed this or thinks it would or not work?
Taking 2 - 3" 470 heat exchangers and hooking in series for a 4.3 v6 ?
The reason I ask is because I have 2 of these and also a thermostat housing with a radiator cap that would work.
I know it would be a pain to mount and run hoses but wondering if it would cool enough.

Last edited:

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Thermostat housing with radiator cap and other outlets.

Attachments

• photo243077.jpg
    photo243077.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
On my closed cooling (470) engine the antifreeze flows through the exchanger then into the block and exhaust manifold then back to the exchanger. The seawater that cools the exchanger is dumped into the exhaust elbow where it cools the exhaust. On a seawater cooled (open) engine the seawater circulates through the block and exhaust risers and is dumped into the exhaust. You can see the problem here, there is no way to circulate the antifreeze without changing the risers to ones designed for a closed system. The exchangers would probably give you enough cooling capacity, the problem would be changing the engine plumbing to make it work.

thumpar

Admiral
Unless the engine is fairly new it is not recommended to switch to closed cooling. I don't know if the system would work but I think there will be other problems.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Unless the engine is fairly new it is not recommended to switch to closed cooling. I don't know if the system would work but I think there will be other problems.

Iam aware of these but it's no concern right now for me, my brother rebuild engs. All the time and has access to eng. Blocks. Matter of fact he has a 4.3 ready to go.Right now.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my closed cooling (470) engine the antifreeze flows through the exchanger then into the block and exhaust manifold then back to the exchanger. The seawater that cools the exchanger is dumped into the exhaust elbow where it cools the exhaust. On a seawater cooled (open) engine the seawater circulates through the block and exhaust risers and is dumped into the exhaust. You can see the problem here, there is no way to circulate the antifreeze without changing the risers to ones designed for a closed system. The exchangers would probably give you enough cooling capacity, the problem would be changing the engine plumbing to make it work.

I see what your saying, but should there be a block off plate installed on top of exhaust matifold and then my raw water discharge would run out into raiser to cool raiser and exhaust?

thumpar

Admiral
Iam aware of these but it's no concern right now for me, my brother rebuild engs. All the time and has access to eng. Blocks. Matter of fact he has a 4.3 ready to go.Right now.
It doesn't matter even on a rebuild. The problem is the built up scale and rust will clog the exchanger. Rebuilding an engine doesn't take that away.

philbullet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, i see what your saying.
We'll I got other problem before I can play with a heat exchanger right now.lol