headsup- tilt trim bypass

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Suggestion to those who do not have their boat in the water yet and can still get to it or those who trailer. Just replaced my YAMAHA trim motor, broke 3 out of 4 bolts so I had to haul the boat and remove the trim/ tilt unit. Never had an occasion to need to turn the tilt bypass screw until now. First time I did, the unit was on my trusty work bench, truck tail gate, it was a bear. Could not turn it with a very big straight slot screw driver. Had to use the middle impact setting on my drill along with some serious pounding on the bit with a hammer.
Did not over tighten the screw and reinstalled the trim/ tilt assy. Found that I had to further seat the bypass screw so I got my trusty big screwdriver. It did not fit. My stern boarding ladder interfered and I could not get on the screw. Turns out I needed a 3/8 drive ratchet, short extension and a big straight slot bit to get on it.
Would recommend that you guys try to turn that screw before you might need it and while it is acessable. Do not be surprised if you cant turn it. Suggest you get a cheap ratchet, short extension and a big straight slot bit, bigger the better. Glue the bit into the socket you will need, otherwise the bit will come out and fall in the mud. Leave it on your boat, let it rust with the rest of your on board tools and hope you never have to use it. regards FRED