head gasket installation

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
I went boating the other day and all was fine until I wanted to start up again and go and....what the heck!!!
A loud popping sound from the carb. It sounded like I was riding a Harley on the water! I had little power and just limped back to shore.

After much testing and checking, I could only conclude a blown head gasket. I had very litlle compression in my OMC 3.0 cobra on the two middle cylinders. So off came the head and sure enough the gasket was blown right between the two middle cylinders.

Q: My neighbor said that when installing a new head gasket to OIL both sides of the gasket first. Is this right?
My Clymer manual says there is a special coating on OMC head gaskets and nothing should be applied. I may get an after market gasket and I am not sure this affects any advise.

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: head gasket installation

I would check your valve train. Mine made a popping sound through the carb. Ended up being some of my rocker arms had losened up.
good luck.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most modern composite head gaskets go on dry. There are usually instructions with the new gaskets if special sealers are needed.
Forget the oil, never heard of that one before.
And find a real OEM manual. Those Clymers manuals have so many mistakes you will be lucky if you get the engine running following it.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Ditto, no oil on the head gasket. What was he trying to accomplish??

Just old school thinking for some. Its no longer done on anything I know of.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the replies fellas! I'm going to follow your advise, NO OIL.

As for the manual, I know Clymer isn't the best, but I'm not going to attempt any "wild" repairs myself. I'll keep to the basic stuff and leave the rest to marine mechs when I know I'm over my head.