Head gasket install

bouch1

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone, 2 quick questions, when installing new head gasket should I put any sealer on also and I can't find a clear set off tourque # for the head bolts, 93 120 force, Thanks for any info..

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Head gasket install

No sealant, I am not sure exactly what the specs are on the 120, but I do know that there is a specific pattern you must follow when tightening any head bolts. 270 inch lbs is standard for my 50hp, 55hp's, 70hp, 85hp, etc.. I just dont have the manul covering the 120 so take this with caution, and maybe someone who has a manual will chime in confirming.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

It's been my experience that you never, ever put sealant on a head gasket unless indicated by the manufacturer.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

No sealant needed and torch spec is 225 inch pounds for motor that has serial # oe138599 including l- drives. There is a pattern to do this and is very important to fallow. Get a manual for your motor and it will show you how and many other things as well.

bouch1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone, I know the bolt pattern just wasn't sure on tourque, will tackle asap.