Has anyone Bent, or actually straightened Fiberglass by heating it?

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, the gunwales in Tiny-Tanic are a crooked mess. Check out the last few photo in my share-a-project. Has anyone actually used a heat gun to heat up old existing fiberglass and bend it back into shape?<br /><br />In the case of these gunwales, could I throw a blanket over them to contain the heat and use by electric space heater to warm them?<br /><br />any other suggestions on how to straighten fiberglass that has been bent out of shape over many years?<br /><br />Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Has anyone Bent, or actually straightened Fiberglass by heating it?

When I look at the Before photos,........<br /><br />I Don't Think they're Supposed to be Straight........<br /><br />"Things" on Boats are Never Straight,........... Or Even...........

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

When I look at the Before photos,........<br /><br />I Don't Think they're Supposed to be Straight........<br /><br />"Things" on Boats are Never Straight,........... Or Even...........<br /><br /> :D I could not have said that any better,in rebuilding a starcraft perhaps the only tool i purchased that was wasteful was a square.Utter junk on boats........ :eek:

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sdunt i was wondering the same thing. I also have badly bent area at steering wheel and glovebox.<br />The only way i figure is make new.. I have never heard of bending old glass

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by Tail_Gunner:<br /> :D I could not have said that any better,in rebuilding a starcraft perhaps the only tool i purchased that was wasteful was a square.Utter junk on boats........ :eek:
The Most Useful Tools for Rebuilding Boats are,......<br />Mason's String Line..........<br />And,...<br />A Tape Measure,+ the ability to Read it..........

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Bondo, et al.<br /><br />I listened to you guys during my rebuild, I had a line from the stern to the bow that I measured everything off of. Amazing how a piece of string can be one of the most useful tools ever.<br /><br />I believe this was one of the tools used by the Egyptians!<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />Ed.

studlymandingo

Commander

What is this tape measure thing you speak of Bondo? :D

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will not be able to bend the fiberglass with heat, it is chemically set, not heat set.<br /><br />I think your idea of using a brace behind it is the only thing to work on that.<br /><br />My aluminum boat had a couple warps on the sides, and I used angle aluminum strips to take the warp out. But for your boat, like mine, angle aluminum would require screws or rivets to the outside - not something considered acceptable for your type of boat. Try glassing in stiff wood.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by studlymandingo:<br /> What is this tape measure thing you speak of Bondo? :D
I don't think he was refferring to your "manliness". :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tape Measure: A device for measuring tape.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Originally posted by Bondo:<br />
Originally posted by Tail_Gunner:<br /> :D I could not have said that any better,in rebuilding a starcraft perhaps the only tool i purchased that was wasteful was a square.Utter junk on boats........ :eek:
The Most Useful Tools for Rebuilding Boats are,......<br />Mason's String Line..........<br />And,...<br />A Tape Measure,+ the ability to Read it..........
:D Hmmm so i have found Mr.Watson so i have found.......... ;)

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by sdunt:<br /> OK, the gunwales in Tiny-Tanic are a crooked mess. Check out the last few photo in my share-a-project. Has anyone actually used a heat gun to heat up old existing fiberglass and bend it back into shape?<br /><br />In the case of these gunwales, could I throw a blanket over them to contain the heat and use by electric space heater to warm them?<br /><br />any other suggestions on how to straighten fiberglass that has been bent out of shape over many years?<br /><br />Thanks.
I think I can see what you are talking about in the pics. About the only solution, and I've done a few times myself, is to mix up some fairing compound using cabosil and gelcoat and fill&paint. It's really fairly simple and will work well. Chief

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

There is warpage for sure, but I don't know that I would spend too much time/money worrying about it. Unless you are a perfectionist, I think you ought to just finish the rebuild and enjoy the boat and not worry about the warpage. Chief100's idea is the most practical if you do want to make the warpage less apparant. I wouldn't add more wood or metal, that is more weight which equals decreased performance. Good luck...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I straightened fiberglass autobody parts using a heat gun. But you need a lot of heat, and that is old resin, it may just start to crack all over.<br /><br />I like Chiefs suggestion of straightening them out using filler. <br /><br />Another idea is to make a rigid form from 3/4" plywood that will fit in the gunnel after you bend it into the shape you want. I would think that if you make the gunnel shape from thick enough plywood and epoxy it in place, it will hold the curve (or lack of) you want. You can use an autobody product called "kitty hair" or "tiger hair" that is a water proof resin with chopped glass mixed in. Cheaper and easier to use than fiberglass mat when working in tight spaces like under the gunnel. It holds tight, will fill the gaps, and will glue the ply in place.