Harmonic Balancer Diameter

Juttmk

Seaman Apprentice
Looking to purchase some timing tape for my 7.4L. Does anyone know the diameter of the balancer?
Engine Serial: OF126634

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
This harmonic balancer is a new, aftermarket replacement part that has the following specifications:
  • Type - Solid Externally Balanced
  • OE part number - GM 330849/3963530/10141212
  • Diameter - 8" (inches)
  • Width - 2-3/4" (inches)
  • Direct bolt on replacement
  • Built to strict quality control standards

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Hey juttmk, odds are that tape will fly right off. Google I think it's Pro Form, they have these snazzy balancer covers with the timing marks engraved & then painted. I've got a black one but they have chrome & red & maybe a gold one. They're only like $35 or so. Definitely way better than those pesky tapes.
Good luck.
Jim

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
never had timing tape come off. I have had brake cleaner take the printing off the decal, however never had the actual tape come off in over 40 years of playing with motors. its 3M adhesive and that stuff is what they use to hold semi's together

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
I must have gotten the Chinese version as two of them have been flung off my balancer prior to putting the cover on it.
Funny thing was I ordered the tape & they sent two. After the first one went into orbit I figured that's what the 2nd one was for. Lol. It didn't stick any better. If it would have had 3M adhesive on this one it probably would have been fine but I guess the old adage "you get what you pay for" was true in this case.

Don't buy the cheap tapes juttmk.
Jim