hard to pane out

jorja rayne

Cadet
1986 bass boat 115 suzuki 19 gallon rear fuel tank out of the hole boat stands straight up has to be at wot to plane out then when i slow back to 1/4 throtle it sinks its *** down in the water the wake comes over the back of the boat theres a new13x19 pitch on there now other number on prop is 992215 m1 wheel vortex

jorja rayne

Cadet
prop question

prop question

probly a stupid question but is there any way u can put a prop on reversed

MikDee

Banned
Re: prop question

Not normally? The prop has to slip on to the shaft splines, & seat, with the proper washers, & locknut. I doubt it would fit on backwards. What kind of boat, and, or motor is this for?

Maclin

Admiral
Re: hard to pane out

Does the motor have power trim? Do you start off with motor trimmed all the way in? If the motor has an adjustable stop for the trim down maybe it is set out too high?

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

probly a stupid question but is there any way u can put a prop on reversed

That would be pretty much impossible to do on most setups. However, you can put a left hand rotation prop on a right hand rotation lower unit which would give the "impression" the prop is on backwards.

MikDee

Banned

You're dealing with extra weight in the rear, that can't be changed. Put a Doel fin on it, or Smart tabs, for more stern lift! The 19" pitch sounds about right, give us your WOT RPM, so we can help you further.

jorja rayne

Cadet

wot rpm is 4800 thats with it trimed out and 41 miles per hour on gps

jorja rayne

Cadet

is it has power trim i have tried starting of with trim up down half way

jorja rayne

Cadet

i will have to bring it in to a dealer to check if its the right prop would the wrong prop make the boat stand straight up out of the hole theres a 13x19 on there now at 4800 rpms planed out it does 41 miles on gps

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Merged threads.......

WIMUSKY

Pony

Rear Admiral

is it has power trim i have tried starting of with trim up down half way

For starters, trim all the way down/in at the start, then once you start to plane out, you can start to trim out to pick up RPMs. 4800 seems very low to me for WOT. I don't know that motor, but my 115hp Opti turns 5500 with a 19 pitch prop.....different boat though

Last edited:

jorja rayne

Cadet

would a 13x17 pitch get my rpms up and make it come out of the water quicker

jestor68

Commander

If your motor is a 2 stroke, the rpm range is 5250-5750.

If it's a 4 stroke, the range is 5000-6000.

Either way, you're not even in the lower portion of the WOT rpm range at 4800 rpm.

A 17 pitch would be a step in the right direction, but may not be enough.

More info on the make/model of the boat and year/type of motor would be helpful.

jorja rayne

Cadet

If your motor is a 2 stroke, the rpm range is 5250-5750.

If it's a 4 stroke, the range is 5000-6000.

Either way, you're not even in the lower portion of the WOT rpm range at 4800 rpm.

A 17 pitch would be a step in the right direction, but may not be enough.

More info on the make/model of the boat and year/type of motor would be helpful.

its a16 foot spirit bass boat 1986 Suzuki dt115 2 stroke is also 1986

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

1986, there is a possibility over the years the foam under the floor has absorbed water from improper storage.
This can concentrate hundreds of pounds of water near the stern. Symtoms are slow hole shot and falling off plane easily.
Check the foam under the floor.Assuming a 2.08 gear ratio your numbers don't add up; 4800 rpm can't make 41 mph.
with a 19" prop. Is your speed by gps. You need to verify the tach; perhaps borrow a shop tach.
Be sure to trim all the way down for hole shot gradually trim up as speed increases.

jorja rayne

Cadet

if the foam is has absorbed water is there a way to dry it out or do I have to cut the floor out ,is there replacement foam I can buy.dont want to give up on the boat I have spent a lot of money restoring it. this is why when I let the throttle of the rear of the boat sink down in the water and the wake from the boat comes in over it

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

hit up the resortation site.. foams there for a reason,,, you can yank the floor and fix this.....;)

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander

For starters, trim all the way down/in at the start, then once you start to plane out, you can start to trim out to pick up RPMs.

suggest you start with this, and go from there

Maclin

Admiral

Is this boat new to you? Or has it behaved this way for you for a long time? Or have you had it a while and it just started doing this?

Look at the boat while it is on the trailer, at the angle of the engine when fully trimmed down. There should be a down stop bar that is adjustable, that is what the engine bracket hits when it is all the way down. It could be adjusted too far out on your boat. Is the engine tucked under some when trimmed all the way in? If so then this adjustment is not needed. If the engine looks like it is trimmed up some when at full down then this bar may need to be moved in.

I borrowed a pic from a recent post here, shows what I am referring to. Not all brands have this so this is still just a suggestion of something to look for.

This pic is a shot from under the engine up along the transom, this particular mount has the stop bar close in to the transom.

Attachments

• RESIZED_undertransom.jpg
    RESIZED_undertransom.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: