hard to crank

misdeal

Seaman
Hello everyone, could use some help, have a 1989 Johnson 120 hp,, at the beginning of last season fired up the boat and no water from tell tail,,,replaced thermostats but no help,, due to time and money I packed the boat up till this season, just replaced the water pump and when I tried to start it , it will hardly crank , like the battery is dead but its fully charged, volt meter on dash reads 13 / 14 volts but when I turn key motor barely cranks and volts drop to 10 or less while cranking,,,,even grabbing fly wheel by hand and turning it its very hard to turn,,,is it possible that when I reinstalled the lower unit I didn't get it back in correctly and that is my issue or is it something eles ?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: hard to crank

Have you taken the plugs out and tried to turn it?
It should be pretty easy then with just a little squeak from the pump.
With plug in its hard fighting the compression.

If it turns ok with plugs out then try using the starter then, see if the starter can spin it with plugs out.
Also clean all the connections and grounds that you can see as they can rust out over a winter sitting especially in an ocean going place.
Doing something wrong in the impeller wouldnt of caused this from what i can summon up

misdeal

Seaman

Thanks for the info, havnt tried that yet, will give it a go this weekend,,

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral

Do a Battery Load test. Clean and inspect all wires. If that proves no better pull lower and reinstall. Also make sure shift shaft is hooked up properly. With remote control in neutral and engine OFF, repeat OFF, prop should spin freely.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Pull the starter apart for inspection.--------They are very easy to work on !

misdeal

Seaman

thanks for the info,,,spun the prop in neutral it will spin but not multiple rotations,,,one good push will let it spin maybe one full rotation,,,will check battery and wires when the weather breaks,,,wind n buckets of rain all day today,,thanks again

misdeal

Seaman

thanks for the info,,will look into it as soon as the rain stops,,,anything special im looking for as in burnt or broken wires etc?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

In neutral you should be able to spin the prop continuously with just one finger on it.-----Have you looked at lower unit oil ?

misdeal

Seaman

no I havnt yet, is on my list of things I want to do,,even think there may be a bad gasket in there as I had oil running down the bottom fin last season, not a lot but im guessing there shouldn't be any??,,, guess I should check it now,,,

Bosunsmate

Admiral

no I havnt yet, is on my list of things I want to do,,even think there may be a bad gasket in there as I had oil running down the bottom fin last season, not a lot but im guessing there shouldn't be any??,,, guess I should check it now,,,

tried spinning it with plugs out?

misdeal

Seaman
ok removed plugs and motor cranked like normal,, one by one I put each plug back in and it got harder to crank with each one,,removed lower unit and replaced all seems ok with that,,,took starter apart and a small part of the magnet hag broken of,,about the size of a cigarette lighter,,,brushes look pretty worn as well,,cleaned it up a bit, removed the broken pieces and put it back together but no luck,,,i have a new starter and solenoid on order,,,so what say you ??any thoughts ?