Hard Starting Force 125 And Misfires

jamalab

Recruit
Hi this is my first time on this forum, need help
I have a 1988 maxuum boat with 125 HP force engine. rebuilt the engine with all new parts accept the pistons, they were fine.
I was hoping to at least 140 to 150 PSI on compression but could only get 100 all across. so i pulled the head gasket and replaced with new also checked to see if any of the new rings were broken by checking the cylinder walls. all good.
adjusted the timing, new plugs backed adle screw all the to seat and then 1/14 turn open. new poissen power reeds,

very hard to start the engine and when it starts it misfires and coughes with white smoke from the top. when i get it
running it runs for may be 2 minutes and then is starts doing the same.

any help i would appreciate.

thanks

​jamal

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Adding on an old post only gets the mods upset.

Only extra work to move the posts into a new thread, unless the post starts "I know this is old". :mad-new: As was done here - You have a thread all your own now, jamalab.

Look at the Help Tip on top of the page - It tells you about posting in old threads.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Did you set the full throttle timing statically to 28 degrees or did you just set it at idle to 0 ? If the later see Frank's video on how to set the timing.

jamalab

Recruit
I am so sorry guys for the mix up of old and new posts thought every thing was closed. did mean to upset anyone.

as for the low compression i only used one compression tools bought from Harper frights,i will check again with different tools.
yes all plugs were pulled and grounded. from what i read when you overhaul the engine you have to set the timing, mark the 28 degree with the plate at the bottom
and adjust the screw under the fly wheel in or out til you get as close as possible. is that correct.

yes i turned the idle /mix screws all the way till barely bottom out and then out to 1 and 1/2 turn.

I set the timing with all plugs out and cranking the engine with remote starter, and adjusted the screw and tied again till i got the lines close top at 28 deg lined up with the line on braket below.

again sorry for my mix up on the post.