Hard shifting and grinding

sculbert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay guys I got my poat in the water today! <br /><br />I found that even at 600 rpm it has a hard shift grinding going into forward and then reverse you can forget. It is difficult to get it to disengage and grinds really bad. I think it is cable adjustment or controler worn out. I have to go into the reverse position to get out of forward and the same for reverse having to go into forward position to get it out of reverse. any thoughts? This is a Mercruiser I running behind a 165 inline 6.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hard shifting and grinding

If it's well tuned, you can get that 165 to idle as low as 450. The fuel pump will have a hard time sucking gas, but 500 might be worth a try. I'd say Wear is definately the problem. One thing you might look at is the end play on the thru-transom cable. You might have too much slop in the slide fork on the drive end. Maybe snug-up the setscrew.

sculbert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hard shifting and grinding

When I put the outdrive back on the mess of the shift fork and the slide bar seemed to look pretty good. So you think I should look at the inside section for play there? The set screw on the slide bar in the outdrive? I remeber seeing a alen set scfrew there. I have never messed with that. I just figured it locks the cable onto the slide bar.