HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY Cobalt-Volvo 35mph?

jdowns

Cadet
Hello, <br />I've read many of the responces to questions and you guys really seem to know your stuff. I only wish my repair shop did. <br />Q: I have a 1999 Cobalt 206 powered by a V5.0 GI DP. It has had yearly recomended service and last week had a tune up that included replacing the plugs and checking the timing, compression, fuel pumps, props ect. My problem is: Over the last few times it's been in the water it has continously lost rpm and speed. The engine runs perfectly under idle and with 1/4 throttle, but when I give it more throttle it sounds as if it's sucking air. It's injected, but sounds like a big 4 bbl carb opened wide. I can rev the rpms to the 4000 and the motor sounds great and runs normal in nuetral, but in gear and any more than 1/4 throttle under a load it DOGS. It will only get to about 3000 rpm under load, and just will hit 30mph. (when it's running right 57mph was no problem) My mechanic (Cobalt Dealer) checked the fuel pumps but only while in nuetral. Could it not be getting enough spark under compression? Or is there another way to check the fuel delivery system to confirm that it's getting enough fuel when in gear and under load? I paid the mechanic for his diagnosis but I'm still "in the same boat" pardon the pun. Please help!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY Cobalt-Volvo 35mph?

Change the fuel filters if you havent. And check them for contaminants such as water or sludge by emptying it onto a pan and looking.<br /><br />Fuel pressure test should be done through the full range of throttle under a load.<br /><br />There are two pumps on your engine. your problem sounds like it may be a faulty low pressure pump failure or restriction in fuel circut.

jdowns

Cadet

The filters were changed last week along with the plugs. How do you check for fuel pressure test? Is the test different in gear under load than reving in nuetral?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Checking fuel pressure on your set up requires a hi-pressure fuel guage. There are two service valve ports for checking pressure. One is on the fuel line and the other is on the fuel resivor bowl. Look like steel tire valve stems.<br /><br />Your engine requires a lot more fuel while running under load than at idle, or just reving engine.

jdowns

Cadet

Thanks, I don't have a pressure gauge so I guess it's back to the shop. Is there a way to check for exhaust blockage before I break down and put it back in the shop? Now that I think about it, it did sound like a car with a bad exhaust converter.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Does your boat have thru-hull, thru-hub, or captains call exhaust system?<br /><br />Other than disassembly and visual inspection, not really.

jdowns

Cadet

Thru-hub exhaust.<br /><br />Can I check the exhaust for blockage just by running the engine up to speed in nuetral without putting it in gear? Or does it need to be in gear to check for proper exhuast?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The system also has exhaust relief ports. It will be virtually impossible to listen or feel for proper exhaust flow.<br /><br />Back to the visual inspection.

jdowns

Cadet

Please forgive my ignorance. But does the exhaust always follow the same route while in-gear or not? And, what would I visually inspect for exhaust blockage? I'm sorry if these questions sound ...dumb, but the mechanic was too costly to take it back if I can do the job. Thanks for your help!!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

No Problem :D <br /><br />The most comon problem with a marine driveability issue,is fuel system problems. Followed by poor secondary ignition system conditions. Then the primary electrical ckt.<br /><br />Exhaust restrictions that cause power loss conditions can occure but are rare. <br /><br />Typically a restricted exhaust system would cause an engine to run hotter than normal because the water cannot exit the engine in sufficient amounts. Engine cooling water exits engine thru the exhaust system. It keeps rubber componants from melting.<br /><br />If it has ever been run hot enough to burn/melt rubber componants "MAAAYYBE" its restricted. I doubt it. :)

jdowns

Cadet

Isn't the fuel pressure test under load, somthing my Cobalt repair tech chould have checked? He said he didn't put it in the lake, only check the fuel pressure while running with muffs. He sure charged me alot for not giving me any answers. Is it normal to pay for a diagnosis then pay again for another diagnosis? They are a real pain to deal with. Any recomendations for repair shops near Conroe, TX? Thanks again.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Isn't the fuel pressure test under load, somthing my Cobalt repair tech chould have checked?
IMO yes<br /><br />
Is it normal to pay for a diagnosis then pay again for another diagnosis?
It has had yearly recomended service and last week had a tune up that included replacing the plugs and checking the timing, compression, fuel pumps, props ect.<br />My mechanic (Cobalt Dealer) checked the fuel pumps but only while in nuetral. <br />I paid the mechanic for his diagnosis but I'm still "in the same boat"
Sounds to me like diagnostics were lacking in enough effort/expertice to locate actual problem and should not be charged again. <br /><br />But you should expect to pay for the repair that fixes problem.

jdowns

Cadet

I very much appreciate your input. Without saying any names...I would not recomend anyone get their boat repaired by a COBALT DEALER located on or near Lake Conroe TX.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Good luck ;) <br /><br />And let us know what happens :eek:

jdowns

Cadet

Will do. I think I'll have a pressure test on the fuel system to start, and go from there. Thanks again.

jdowns

Cadet

Had a fuel line pressure test done on the system while under way and pressure is fine, also replaced distributor cap. Still can't determine why it runs perfectly while in nuetral but has little power and sounds terrible under a load. It will idle and rev like a new engine to 5000 rpms with no hesitation what so ever and even in gear at less than 1/4 throttle. But, when it's in gear and anything above 1/4 throttle it sounds like it's running lean and sucking air, or like the exhaust is blocked or something of the sort. And under-way it has a bit of a vibration but the props are perfect. <br /><br />It has gradually lost speed and power over the last summer. Could the out drive not be in line? Would that cause a problem like I'm having? I don't get it...at idle and under 1/4 throttle it's perfect. Any more and the engine sounds loud and sick. If anyone has experienced a similar problem please let me know. Thanks

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you say that it has vibration under load, have you watched or felt the engine to see if the engine is shaking ? If the vibration isn't coming from the engine, then it has to be drive/prop related. If the engine is shaking/vibrating, I would do the following :pull and check each spark plug( look for signs of water intrusion, oil fouling, etc., I know you said they did a compression test....are you sure they did one, if so what were the numbers ? If compression is OK, then test or replace spark plug wires, if problem still persists hook up timing light and verify base timing and advance curve. If all of this checks out, time to focus on the injectors, do a power balance test on injectors, check injector wiring. By the way, you have had the ECM scanned...right ?

jdowns

Cadet

The vibration is felt, but not from the engine and it is very slight. I'll need to ask the mechanic what the compression #'s were and how they decided the plug wires were not the issue. I'll request if they did the timing as you suggest (base and advance curve) and check the voltage. What is the ECM? Is that done during a tune-up? As you can tell...I'm no mechanic,,, beyond the brakes and waterpump on my car, I leave it to the professionals.

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer

check the plugs, make sure they are all firing. a V8 firing on 6 or 7 cyliders will rev to 5 grand in neutral all day and run like crap under load.