Hanging it for the winter....

mrcaptainbob

Cadet
Found that the 'stack' marina I am now at does not have hi-lo's capable of lifting the craft to dry land. There is a travel lift with 30K capacity. but does not have the height to clear the props from the ground for traveling to the blocks. So....it ws suggested lifting it and leave it there for the winter. The boat is 18K. Besides bumpers on both sides, any suggestions? Recommends? Bubblers and circulators are also options, but am concerned with possible power outage and resultant freezing.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Pull the props n rudders?

I wouldn't want any boat of mine supported by slings for months... Heck they do enough damage just hoisting in and out...

Maybe you need to find a different marina for the winter.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Our SkipperLiner spent 4 years in the water, complete with 4 winters in the ice. I bought a large waterfall pump (about 3000 gph) several years ago. It's much like a sump pump but for non-stop duty. I rigged a PVC 'spider' to it, that blows water out of 4 elbows. The pump sits in a plastic 30 gallon garbage can, with the spider tied to the can handles, that keeps it from moving around in the can. I drilled about twenty 2" holes in the can, just to be sure there's always water for the pump. The top of the spider is about 3' above the bottom of the pump. I tie the can & pump to the back of our diving deck so the pumped water exits the spider just at water level. The water is aimed at the transom. The pump is connected to a thermo-plug, that kicks on and off at 45?, so it's reasonably 'automatic'. I've used this pump thru 7 winters with no issues. It keeps ice from forming around the back of the boat and the drives. The rest of the boat sits in solid ice, never had a problem. Several sailboats in our harbor sit in the ice every year, no problem.

One possible problem to be aware of, is ice- If you're moored behind a good breakwater (I am), then ice shouldn't be a problem. But if your boat is exposed to big water, moving ice sheets, or Cadillac-sized blocks even, can ruin your day!

Check this video (this is our lake) https://youtu.be/1AlDQrXnYeA
Also found this news story, also our lake! http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...b8dccb7d8.html

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Our SkipperLiner spent 4 years in the water, complete with 4 winters in the ice. I bought a large waterfall pump (about 3000 gph) several years ago. It's much like a sump pump but for non-stop duty. I rigged a PVC 'spider' to it, that blows water out of 4 elbows. The pump sits in a plastic 30 gallon garbage can, with the spider tied to the can handles, that keeps it from moving around in the can. I drilled about twenty 2" holes in the can, just to be sure there's always water for the pump. The top of the spider is about 3' above the bottom of the pump. I tie the can & pump to the back of our diving deck so the pumped water exits the spider just at water level. The water is aimed at the transom. The pump is connected to a thermo-plug, that kicks on and off at 45?, so it's reasonably 'automatic'. I've used this pump thru 7 winters with no issues. It keeps ice from forming around the back of the boat and the drives. The rest of the boat sits in solid ice, never had a problem. Several sailboats in our harbor sit in the ice every year, no problem.

One possible problem to be aware of, is ice- If you're moored behind a good breakwater (I am), then ice shouldn't be a problem. But if your boat is exposed to big water, moving ice sheets, or Cadillac-sized blocks even, can ruin your day!

Check this video (this is our lake) https://youtu.be/1AlDQrXnYeA
Also found this news story, also our lake! http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...b8dccb7d8.html

That's a very cool time lapse video!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Need a little more detail about your boat and the dock situation. Is the marina willing to lift the boat in the slings and just leave it hanging in their slings all winter? What is the boat? Does the marina haul out well have good run way beams that your could use to support the boat in any way? Pictures of the set up would be good.

shrew

Lieutenant
You need to find a new marina for winter storage. That facility is not adequately equipped for a vessel of your size. Not being able to clear the ground would be very, very low. I've never seen a travel lift that can't travel with a boat in the slings.