Hangers for an Aluminum I Beam trailer?

rvrlaxn

Cadet
I am changing the axle, springs and all hangers and hardware on my Aluminator I Beam trailer. All of the hanger brackets that I can find seem to be made for Box beam trailers. All of them have mount bolt holes for the center line of the trailer. That will not work for an I beam trailer. The old ones were welded to a piece of steel plate which was then bolted to the trailer on either side of the I beam riser. I would like to have a bolt on install with no welds. (The weld failed on the one I am changing almost causing catastrophic failure). Any suggestions. 2000 pound trailer. 1994 with 1720 CC Key West and 75hp Mariner.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Hangers for an Aluminum I Beam trailer?

Weld a flat plate to the top of the mount with holes in it where you want them. Then just bolt is on.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

What bifflefan said.
I cant imagine a hanger that would have a bolt on mount that is wider than the spring and hanger metal without being two pieces of steel welded somewhere.

Properly welded it will not break.

If your trying to utilize the existing holes in the frame your gonna have to do some custom fabrication.

Was the old hanger bolted with two or four bolts?

rvrlaxn

Cadet

Found what I need . http://www.easternmarine.com/Heavy-Duty-Bolt-On-Leaf-Spring-Hanger-2-ID-17101/ . Thanks for the input. Also a killer deal on an axle, springs, hangers, hubs assembled for about 140.00 from AAA Trailer Parts.
My other question is that I now have the opportunity to change the CG(center of gravity) of my rig. I would like to ease up on the tongue weight a little. How do I know what is an appropriate tongue weight? I have heard that to light can be dangerous during hard braking.
Steve

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

My other question is that I now have the opportunity to change the CG(center of gravity) of my rig. I would like to ease up on the tongue weight a little. How do I know what is an appropriate tongue weight? I have heard that to light can be dangerous during hard braking.
Steve

Too light tongue and you risk trailer sway. And sometimes you do not know your too light until your in the upper ranges of towing speed and a tractor-trailer passes you.