Halon Fire Extinguishers

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
How does one go about having there fire extinguishers recertified?Call one place here in Baton Rouge,La,they will not do Halon extinguishers.Halon is a ban chemical now.Halons don't have pressure gauges,they go by weight.Mine were weight in at 12lbs each,new and they still weight the same.Just want them certified.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Halon Fire Extinguishers

My local firebrigade trade them in so that people don't dump them. Can't get um tested here anymore.<br /><br />I had a couple of automatic halon extinquishers in my workshop, my insurance company had a hissy fit when they found out.<br /><br />Maybe good as an anchor? :p

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Halon is still out there,hell,I have 4 of them in the room were I work at now!Don't know how or when they will replace them.Come next monday,I will ask around.

18rabbit

Captain

I have a Fireboy halon 1301 system (dated 1992) in the engine room. My understanding is you can have the cylinder weighed and if it is still within spec (mine still is) it will be recertified. If it is under weight it needs to be topped off. You are correct that halon is banned in the since that it is no longer manufactured. But as I understand it, existing halon is ok to use and you can have the cylinder topped off with recycled halon. A fire extinguisher company local to me still certifies halon systems. Depending on the boat and the halon system, you may need/want to have the whole system inspected. As a last resort you can replace just the halon bottle with a bottle containing the new *approved* replacement chemistry. The halon bottle itself is not refillable with FE241 or HFC227 so you get to buy a whole new bottle. Updating the halon is on my things to do list but not a priority item. When I do update I will put my halon into the recycled halon system so it can be used to top off other people’s halon systems.<br /><br />Call around and ask. If a fire extinguisher place won’t certify your halon bottle, ask them who will. You may be able to send the bottle to the manf for recertification. And remember, Google is your friend. :) <br /><br />Edit: call some of the boatyards that work on commercial boats and/or yachts...any boat with diesel engines. They deal will recertifying halon systems all the time and should give you the name of the business they use. That's how I found the place local to me.

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm,<br /><br /> Anybody who has a Halon extiguisher they don't want...and could figure out a cheap way to get it to me...I would take a couple of them. I know they aren't what you are supposed to have...but for an engine fire I would much rather use Halon. That other stuff plays hell with electrical stuff and is corrosive. I have seen the extinguisher powder do as much damage as the fire.<br /><br />Just my $0.02 worth,<br />Joe

18rabbit

Captain

Whatever Joe’s offering for old halon extinguishers, I’m offer that plus $1 more. :p :D <br /><br />Edit: Whatever the perceived problem is with halon (the ban started in the EU?), I think taking the existing halon out of service may be worse than allowing it to go away thru natural attrition. There are places in the US that recycle (buy/sell) halon. I don’t know the extent of the EU’s ban but I got the impression it may be a no-no to use at all.<br /><br />This web page has a lot of good info on halon. http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/waac/wn/wn15/wn15-2/wn15-208.html <br /><br />HARC News also reported that the board of directors of HARC have approved the formation of the Halon Recycling Corporation (HRC). A recent study by a review panel for HRC points out that the recycling of existing Halon 1301 will probably be managed through local fire equipment companies and recommends the formation of a not-for-profit corporation for larger-scale operations, including refurbishment of more severely contaminated Halon 1301 and 1211 than may be practical at the fire equipment distributor level. For more information on donating or selling halon to essential uses, obtaining halon for essential uses, or becoming a member of HRC, please call 800/258-1283.<br /><br />The decision to develop a code of practice for the best use of recycled and banked halon has been applauded by both the US Environmental Protection Agency and Environment Canada, and voluntary guidelines are being written by the Fire Suppression Systems Association (FSSA), National Association of Fire Equipment Distributors (NAFED), Fire Equipment Manufacturers Association (FEMA), and the Fire Equipment Manufacturers Institute of Canada (FEMI).

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Halon is banned in the UK but having done fire training its the best thing since sliced bread. I always keep one on the boat. Cant help you with the recertified question sorry

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br /> Edit: Whatever the perceived problem is with halon (the ban started in the EU?),
18rabbit,<br /><br />I was reading a Coast Guard page the other day and they said it wasn't approved anymore because you can't breathe it. I looked but couldn't find it again. Also, it doesn't dissipate rapidly which makes the not being able to breathe it even worse. However, in an open boat like mine, there is nothing I would rather use. I have one, and now that I have been reminded I will try to get my hands on more...the one I have is a smaller kitchen model and I would like to leave it in the kitchen. ;) BTW, lets not bid against each other too much or we won't be able to afford the darn things. ;) Besides which, the darn things are heavy and would not ship very cheap anyway...if you could legally ship them at all. But I would seriously buy some if I could.<br /><br />Just another $0.02 worth,<br />Joe

Dunaruna

Admiral

The problem is that it main diet is the ozone layer. At present their is no effective way to neutralise halon so production has stopped (worldwide I believe) and existing stocks are recycled for use in aircraft. Thats why average joe (not a reference to you Joe Glastron) can't have access to it. When existing stocks are gone then its byebye halon.<br /><br />Aldo

18rabbit

Captain

Joe – you’re just saying that because you only bid “another $0.02 worth” at a time. :D <br /><br />I remember the halon systems used in raised floor computer rooms had something like a 30-sec vacate alarm before detonating. Problem with the darns things in an engine room is the bang they make when discharging. I’m told it scares the crap out of you and the natural response is to inhale deeply to facilitate an appropriate tribal scream of fear. My engine room is small enough that from the center it is only 3 steps in either direction to vacate. I think I can make it on one good scream. There is a warning in the halon system instructions not to mount the bottle below a hatch because the sudden increase in the pressure of a confined engine room can blow the hatch off. That suggests to me the possibility of blown eardrums, which will result in vertigo and probable overall dysfunction, not something you want at sea during an emergency situation.<br /><br />Aldo – don’t believe it. I read on an English wed site that halon is “known to damage the ozone layer”. Not true! Halon is classified as a cfc…the propellant that was used in spray cans. Cfc’s take about 35-years to migrate thru the atmosphere to the ozone layer. They are just now starting to get there in mass. No one knows the effects of cfc’s on the ozone…only a theory, likely junk science. I personally know someone that worked in Antarctica. Told me the story about one day NASA suddenly and unexpectedly piled in with planeloads of equipment. The natural hole in the ozone that is always over Antarctica had suddenly closed. Testing of the ozone showed the highest levels of cfc to date, at that time…and the ozone hole closed due to an increase in the ozone. So much for cfc’s “damaging” effect on the ozone. The natural ozone hole has since returned. We don’t understand the ozone but it appears to have the ability to naturally heal itself.<br /><br />Fwiw, cfc’s have never been tested for their effect on the ozone, they can’t be. Neither has the chemistry that has replaced cfc’s as a propellant. Could be better, could be worse, most likely it all has no effect.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

18 rabbit,I will give a call around some boat yards next week.Here in my work place we still have Halon in place,used in the wire rooms and the control rooms.

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

<br /><br />The above website gives you the good and bad points of halon. Mostly, they're good. This came at a great blow to my ego, as the Navy has been teaching me for some time that halon is terrible and if you breathed it, you would grow horns and be forced to retire in Alabama. <br />The site also contains the MSDS for halon, so you can feel scientific about your findings. <br />By everything else I'm finding, though, all of the above information is useless. I don't find anything that says you can recertify or refill your halon any longer. The only thing I am reading is that you have to take it to your local hazmat dump site and turn your extinguishers in. There are some conflicting reports saying that you are allowed to own it, but not discharge it. At this point, my humble opinion is the same as someone from another site: "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission". If your halon is still full, keep it hidden. If it's empty, call your local fire dept. and ask for a suitable replacement. That site I listed above talks about CO2 and dry chemicals. The next option, and this is a fairly good replacement to halon systems, is APC. It is readily available, and I saw a bottle just recently, at circuit city. It is good against the three types of fires you will see in any boat or auto mishaps. I'm sorry that I can't find any more information on APC for you, but the internet has just run me out of patience tonight. Anyway, it's another option for you to look at. I wouldn't get rid of my halon extinguisher. Instead, I'd stick that sucker under a seat and keep it there. It may not be legal, but if the decision has to be made to save my tail or the ozone(IF the unproven myth is true).....

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

My halon will stay in the hole,they are auto release.All I whated to do is have them check.What I found out was they are checked by weight,not pressure.I guess there still good.Last weight check was 3 years ago,weight was 12lbs each per the tag,today they still weight 12lbs.Will add another system just in case.