H2O

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm thinking about buying a Lowrance H2O. For you guys that have used them: Are they any good for showing bottom detail, ledges, shoals, etc? If yes, is that with the pre-loaded map software, or would I need to spring for one of the packages like "Fishing Hot Spots" maps? An extra $100. I'm going to be fishing as a co-angler a lot this year and was thinking I could bring it to tournaments.

tommays

Admiral
Re: H2O

You need the hot spots the base map is pretty useless on the water

Tommays

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

For fishing you will want to buy either Navonics hotspot or Lakemaster chip. Navonics will have more lakes but max zoom is only 1/8 mile. Lakemaster chip has fewer lakes but tend to have more lake detail, enables you to zoom farther down and also has better roads then the preloaded roads in H2O. Navonics only gives you lakes. I have Navonics and really like it. I have fished about 20 different lakes in both Minnesota and Wisconsin and all the lakes have been in the chip. Another draw back to navonics is it takes longer for the H20 to run the lake or change when you move the curser or change zoom. This is because the chip is so jammed packed with 8000 lakes it takes a bit longer. H20 is an awsome GPS and with Navonics you can fish any unfamiliar lake like a pro.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just checked the Lakemaster web site and they don't offer maps of anything in my area. Can you get enough detail on the Navonics Hotspots maps?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

They are good enough for me. Some of the maps are a lot more detailed then others. Some are survayer (SP) maps that were done along time ago and are not as accurate. I was out on MIlle Lacs lake at 1 am pitch dark with no moon and the map showed a bouy to the right of my boat. I used my flashlight and that bouy was about 8 feet to the right of my boat. The map for that lake is dead on for accuracy. I had heard that the 2007 chip was suppose to be better for zoom but I cant say from experience if that is true. If you go to navonics site they have a place that will show you what lakes are availible in your area. Your computer must be able to view inline frames to see the lakes.Go here and click on the region you are interested in
Navionics

ruf1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The Lowrance website also has free maps of selected lakes that interface with the H2O unit

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer

If it wasn't twice the price of the Garmin Legend, I would probably buy it. I am looking at the Garmin, and an wondering if I should hold off so I can buy this gps. Good Luck!

Patrick