Greetings!

Re: Greetings!

We had similar weather this week too! 81 here today! Sadly I had no time to work on anything and had to go to my volunteer spot and couldn't back out! There will be plenty other days, and it's not supposed to drop too far, so there's plenty of work to be done!

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tra,
Welcome! You have a very similar story to how I got mine! good luck on the resto! These guys on this site are a WEALTH of info and experience! Looking forward to seeing it develop!

Hey all! Quick update on the boat!

I had a potential snafu with the DMV, but now I am caught up, and the boat is legally mine! (for details, check this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...topics/dmv-questions-am-i-screwed-598216.html)

My dad finally brought the outboard to a mechanic to get it looked at. Turns out my aunt overheated the thing, and they didn't do something with it (not sure what it was) but something melted/died/whatever, and the outboard is pretty much parts. This was a huge shock, and it's really annoying. My dad always says that "Boat" stands for Break Out Another Thousand, and he wasnt kidding! After this, maintenance is going to be a breeze.

Bought a whole new steering system, and gotta swap out all the stuff (while keeping that sweet steering wheel!) I HAD engine cables, but returned them, because, well the outboard's shot haha. I hope I get her back in soon, I'm itching to get things going, and I'm also losing my patience with everything. It's starting to feel like a burden, rather than a labor of love, but now that the DMV crap is over, I'm feeling a lot better about the whole thing.

Gave it a wash, wax, and painted the bottom, also lettered it. Looks brand, spankin, new.

boat8.jpg

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lookin good! Now to get it wet.

Still trying to get to be spring her in PA. Some nice days but still kinda cool overall so my Oxford is not ready for use yet. Got distracted by a motorcycle and a trip I promised my wife.

Now to get back to boating!

So my dad took the OB to another mechanic, and it was repairable! Turns out it needed an overhaul, but it's running like a new motor now! I just have little things to do, I spent two days straight this week just pounding through the work that needs to be done, and it's almost ready for the water. Everything has been working out. Turns out one of our renters (we live on the water, and have dock space that we rent because we didn't have a boat till now) cannot get his boat in, nor did he want to pay when my mom raised him, so the perfect dock space is now mine!

Managed to rescue the crappy trailer, all it needed were new bearings, tires, tongue and winch. Once I get the boat in the water, I'm going to spend my spare summer time sanding it down and repainting/rewiring it, and then I'm going to get it regged and inspected.

I am so excited I can taste it! (or maybe that's just the salt air in the backyard LOL)

Sorry for the facebook link. It should be public, but it has all the pics I have taken recently of it. You'll see that it's coming along nicely, I plan on having her in Friday night!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.574774122880.2031329.198902733&type=1&l=005c137d7d

feel free to add me if anyone uses fb, just let me know you're from iBoats!

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a big crew, paddles are pretty cheap. Of course then you have to feed the crew which could prove expensive over a season. :D Maybe you should just go ahead and buy a motor! At least IT won't complain!

So huge updates! I got it in the water! It was great. G/F and I went out, went out with some friends, several times just to the bay and back. It was GREAT.

I took my father and g/f out on Father's Day for a quick fishing trip. I open up the throttles in the bay, and I see the outboard leaning back. Looked like this: | at 5mph \ at 15. We slow it down, turns out the transom was softer than my dad thought! We pulled it the next day, and scooped it out. Mulch. Wet, soggy mulch. Pulled out all the crap, and used Nida-Core. It's an amazing compound. The boat is SOLID. Now all I'm doing is waiting on the OB to get back from the mechanic, sent it in to have the power heads torqued down, etc. After that, we're all set!

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats! You're almost there! You lucked out on preserving your motor. Finding someone willing to fix an older motor, rather than simply clocking you 5 grand for a new one, is a lucky thing!

My transom was equally bad. Nida core cost more than my boat! I went with epoxy laminated plywood. It will last longer than I will!

We all anxiously await the photos of your "new" boat !

Again ...congrats on getting it back in shape and for preserving an old classic.