Greetings From New Guy

tnfreebird

Cadet
I just signed up on the forum at the direction of a friend and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a certified boat junkie whose had about every type of boat there is to be had. Small, large, fast, slow... even a sailbote.

Now that I'm a semi-old fart, I'm more into larger boats. Not trying to pull out measuring sticks or anything, but I was just wondering how many members of this forum own boats over 40'? I currently have boats from 14-58 feet, but was just curious.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Greetings From New Guy

Longest I had was a 28' E-scow racing sailboat. Man that thing was fast! My eldest got my 11' classic runabout. It has a 25 Sea King that'll pull me on skis. Right now I'm running a 16' runabout that's actually pretty large for a 16. At one time I had five boats; a 17' expedition canoe, 14' catamaran, 22' sloop, 15' trihull, and that classic 11'. Divorce ended that, but the classic and the trihull stayed in the family at least. :(

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is that where you came from, Bro Haut?

Welcome aboard, tnfreebird. :)

OldMercsRule

Captain

Nah, just bought a new lawnmower and was looking for greener grass!:D

A 58 footer? Wow, that's a load in Tennessee no less!

My biggest (old "rat boat") as WillyBWright calls the old junkers like I run is 18'. It is a 1959 Sabrecraft, and back in those days an 18 Footer was the same as a modern (real expensive) 20 Footer.

Most of my fleet is powered by black boat anchors, n' I have a fleet 'cause I don't like ta swim to me private island, n' they don't call 'em boat anchors fer nothin'!!

A feller here on iboats named BoatBouy called me island RUBY RIDGE island, 'cause of the artilary I have out there to protect the black anchors from the Liberals. (Libs hate me old smoke belchin' boat anchors), n' I'm determined ta keep 'em. Welcome ta iboats!!! JR

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Welcome aboard. 58ft is alot of boat to handle. Perhaps you could sponsor one of the Iboats get togethers on board. That would be worth the trip!! :)

tnfreebird

Cadet

Yep, the 58 is a '74 Hatteras which I just brought back up from Florida, one one engine no less. Long story behind that one, but I made most of the trip all by my lonesome. Not a lot of fun through all the locks in the Tenn-Tom, but all in all it was a pretty good trip.

Hey, loading up with a bunch of fellow addicts is the best reason to own a big boat. I've got a '65 Hatteras 41 here in TN as well. Long story behind that too! Let's just say bad things happen to good people with bad habits and good credit.

Truth is, both Hatts are currently for sale, but I'll keep whichever one doesn't sell first. My 41 is bristol, the 58 is a diamond in the rough. I made it as far as Pickwick Lake a couple of weeks ago with the 58 and needed a break to get caught up on some things before finishing the trip. I've still got about 450 miles to go to get her home.

One thing is for sure, I do a whole lot more boating on a boat than I do on a computer. Now as for big black motors, guns, and being a conservative... if ya'll think I've talked too much so far, we better just part ways right now!:D

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Talk too much? You ain't seen long windedness til you read some of OMR's posts. ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome freeboy :) I dream of bigger boats, does that count?

tnfreebird

Cadet

"Location: America's Dairyland.
Smell our Dairy Air."

LOL I just noticed your little tag line there Bubba. That's purty clever for a farm boy. Oops, I forget some folks think being called Bubba is a bad thing, but not where I come from.

Oh well, NASCAR is in Bristol tonight, and it's a $3 fine if you're asked about the race the next day and can't give the right answer. I'm a purty good multi-tasker though, so I'll check back in a bit to see if anybody wants to join the Hatteras owners club. You get a free jar of Grey Poupon and some fish jelly for your biskits, and you have to say at least three bad things about a Sea Ray every week.

Well, I've gotta stand up and take my hat off now.