Green "Stuff" At Edge of Carpet...

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2008 Party Barge that has a custom made cover that works great. However, around the very edge of the pontoon where the cover does not protect, I get a greenish stuff that "appears" on the carpet after it gets wet (rain, etc...). The carpet is tan, so it is very noticeable.

Has anybody else had this problem and if so, have you found a product that works good to either clean or prevent it from happening? It's not mold, it's not moss, it's just a discoloration...

Thanks
Dwight

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Green "Stuff" At Edge of Carpet...

I have a 2008 Party Barge that has a custom made cover that works great. However, around the very edge of the pontoon where the cover does not protect, I get a greenish stuff that "appears" on the carpet after it gets wet (rain, etc...). The carpet is tan, so it is very noticeable.

Has anybody else had this problem and if so, have you found a product that works good to either clean or prevent it from happening? It's not mold, it's not moss, it's just a discoloration...

Thanks
Dwight

Thats called mold. You cant do much about other than treating the area with a mold killing product.

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Really? It's mold?

It's really green looking - not like other mold I've seen, but I'm sure you're right.

I'm going to take the power washer to it for now and see what happens.

Thanks.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Zeeter is correct. Although I don't have that problem, lots of my fellow boaters here in Florida do.

Some have reported that placing a dehumidifier under the cover solved the problem. A small fan may also help.

Mold normally grows in a warm moist environment with little air movement and sunlight.

Jeep Man

Commander

Zeeter is correct. Although I don't have that problem, lots of my fellow boaters here in Florida do.

Some have reported that placing a dehumidifier under the cover solved the problem. A small fan may also help.

Mold normally grows in a warm moist environment with little air movement and sunlight.

I have some on mine as well, coincidently also an '08 Parti Barge, although I doubt this has any bearing on the problem. As MJ said, the problem is on the section NOT under cover. My boat was in a shady area and the carpet was very wet due to rain. What is the best product to use on it or do I let the sunshine look after it.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have some on mine as well, coincidently also an '08 Parti Barge, although I doubt this has any bearing on the problem. As MJ said, the problem is on the section NOT under cover. My boat was in a shady area and the carpet was very wet due to rain. What is the best product to use on it or do I let the sunshine look after it.

The original poster said the mold was around the edges. My friend has a totally enclosed pontoon and was having trouble with mold under the doors.
He put a dehumidier in the boat and solved his problem. Of course if the carpet is a large unprotected piece outside the cover such as the front deck, then this would not help.

My boat is moored within 20 feet of my friends and I don't have the problem so I have never used any of the mold prevention products. West lists several products and I'm sure most marine stores would carry it. I would assume any of those products would carry the warning to first test in an inconspicuous area to make sure it doesn't discolor the carpet.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

just power wash the area then mix up a solution a bleach and water kinda 1/2 cup bleach to 1 gal of water and after the next rain while its already wet, go pour the mix on the carpet and put the boat in the sun, mold will be gone in a few days

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just power wash the area then mix up a solution a bleach and water kinda 1/2 cup bleach to 1 gal of water and after the next rain while its already wet, go pour the mix on the carpet and put the boat in the sun, mold will be gone in a few days

This will kill the mold, but as with other products, test it first in an inconspicuous place such as under the seats to make sure the bleach doesn't change the carpet color.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

good tip, my pontoon carpet is really light tan ( off white ), I can and have poured bleach almost full strength with no color change

wnbklb

Cadet

My newly-purchased used pontoon boat has the same issue; it's not mold - it's algae on mine. Same products work to kill both, but hard water spray is needed to lift/remove the dead algae/mold out of the carpet. I know this is a little late for you, but thought it might help others researching the fix.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mix Amonia wiith water and scrub it then water blast it. I would not use Bleach.

This green stuff is very common.