Green Gas???

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,<br /><br />I went to the lake today and had my motor start messing up on me. It ran good for about 30 minutes. At first it was only at idle then it did it at full speed. The motor started "cutting out" and I got an alarm buzzer. At first I thought I was out of gas so I switched tanks then it did it again. <br /><br />A man stopped to help and said it sounded like water in the gas or maybe just bad gas. I made an emergency call to my mechanic (from the middle of the lake) and he said thats what it sounded like to him too. The gas was left over from last year but I put Sta-Bil in both tanks. When I finally got home I poured the gas from both tanks and it has a green color to it - not just a little green but Crayola Green.<br /><br />The questions I have are:<br /><br />Did I do any damage to my motor running it for about 30 minutes at low speed like this to get back to the ramp?<br /><br />What could be the cause of the green gas?<br /><br />Is Sta-Bil any good? (I think not)<br /><br />Should I run some type of cleaner like STP in a fresh tank to clean out the motor?<br /><br />I greatly appreciate any and all responses!<br /><br />Thanks in advance! :confused: :confused: :confused: :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Green Gas???

Do you know what the buzzer was indicating? It could be heat, low oil, or no oil(if oil injected).<br />Some motors are equipped to limit RPM when they overheat. But more info is needed.<br />Some gas is greenish from the pump.Some oils are green. Mix the two, and it's really green..Add time for the volitiles to evaporate somewhat, and it will be even greener (due to being more oil-rich).<br />Sta-Bil works well for gas stored less than 1 year, and I've heard of gas faring well after 2.<br />I have also had problems with a Force 50HP and a 125HP that simply would not run well with sta-bil in the mix.<br /><br />I would believe your problem is other than fuel,if you got an alarm..Whatever it is indicating,stands a good chance of being the bug in the werks.

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

The motor is a 40HP Mariner Oil Injected, around 1989 I think. I did not mix any oil in the gas. The water coolant stream looks ok. The beep was constant, not intermittent. The first time it did this was when idling, I shut off the motor and after about 5 minutes restarted it, it didn't do it again until I was at full speed after about 10 minutes, then it wouldn't quit and I had to come in very slow because of the "cutting out" or "missing" or whatever it was doing.<br /><br />Do you know who I can contact about finding out what the different types of beeps mean? :confused:

jwhite

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A constant tone is the heat alarm, a beep every 10 seconds or so is low oil and a beep every second or two is no oil.

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

WM,<br /><br />It appears to be a heat alarm. <br /><br />Thats got me thinking. I replaced the NGK spark plugs with Champion replacement part nums. Could they run at a higher heat than NGK? Or could the gap set be incorrect and cause it? <br /><br />Thanks :D

jwhite

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How long has it been since you put a waterpump in it? You could also have a stuck thermostat or a lean carb due to clogged jets. The fact that you said it was cutting out makes me think its more of a fuel problem.

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

I don't think it has ever had a new water pump, but there is a good stream of water coming out.<br /><br />I had the carb cleaned two weeks ago. This was after it had been setting up for 4 months or so and wouldn't start. <br /><br />Also, when it starts doing all this the bubble on the gas line feels too spongy, instead of hard. :confused:

jwhite

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just because there is a good stream of water doesn't mean its pumping enough water. The best way to tell is to let in run for a few minutes and put your hand on top of the head, if you can hold your hand there a few seconds then its not getting hot. I would advise putting a new water pump in if it hasn't been changed in a few years. You may want to go ahead and change the thermostat as well. When the engine starts cutting out does pumping the bulb make it run better? If so then you have a bad fuel pump, bad bulb, or an air leak somewhere in the fuel delivery system. You really should get a manual for your engine before you start tearing into anything.

rpeeples

Seaman Apprentice

I have not tried to see if it gets hot yet.<br /><br />Sometimes pumping the bulb will work. I have had to take the engine-side line loose and squeeze it a time or two. It will squirt out some gas then when I reconnect it and pump it again it will get hard.<br /><br />How much should a water pump and thermostat cost and can you recommend a good manual?<br /><br />Thanks greatly :D

jwhite

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can get a manual by clicking on the link "Repair Manuals" at the bottom of this page. A water pump will run about $20 and a thermostat about $10-$15, I don't have my book on me so prices may be different. As for your gas problem, the first thing you should do is look for any visible cracks/splits in the fuel lines going to the motor and inside of the cowling. Check all connections to make sure none are loose. Do you have a built in tank or a portable one? If you have a built in tank then it could be the check ball in the fitting where the fuel line connects if yours has one, remove it and use a small punch to remove the little ball. If you have a portable tank make sure you have the vent on the cap open. You can also use clear hose between the gas tank and the bulb. Crank the engine and see if you see any air bubbles in the line with the engine running. The manual will porbably give you a few more good tests to help find your problem.

crab bait

Captain

thats a good idea on the clear hose , WHITE.. what kinda hose is it ? ( that can withstand gas ) & can it be left on permenate ?

petryshyn

Commander

fuel rated clear vinyl hose is available at most auto and industrial retailers....