GPS & Sonar - combined or seperate units?

DEM

Cadet
I need to buy a new sonar & wonder if I should get a combo Sonar/GPS. I have a decent simple GPS unit (no maps etc)I can mount on past boat.<br /> <br />Question: Should I consider a combination Sonar / GPS unit? I read about these but can't quite visualize how this would work and if it would be any advantage over seperate sonar and gps.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: GPS & Sonar - combined or seperate units?

Sonar/GPS Combo Benefits = Less Real Estate committed to electonics than mounting two seperate units. Combo will use less power than operating two seperate units at the same time. Combo requires one power source and therefore neater wiring and also less electrical interferance which can effect the GPS and/or Sonar performance. Usually less expensive than purchasing two new units seperately. Most combo units can be upgraded with optional software programs.<br /><br />Combo Disadvantages = More buttons and menus to go through to achieve the function you want and therefore a little more wear and tear on the keypad. If the GPS goes south, you're also without Sonar and vice versa until you get the unit repaired. Usually a few more sheckles out of the gate than what most people plan on spending on electronics. Finally, progress in technology may limit functions otherwise available with a newer unit but the other combo feature may still be on par with the functions of existing technology. eg. A change in GPS features (such as WAAS) but no or little change in sonar features.<br /><br />I personally just invested in a LCX-18 combo which is going on a new boat in the spring. It seemed to me the pros of a combo outweighed the cons for my specific demands but it is like anything else, If you use it enough you get your moneys worth with the satisfaction of catching many fish. In five years there will be different alternatives that will have you looking at new electronics.

DEM

Cadet

PAKev, that was one of the most thoughtful analysis of combo v seperate units I have seen. Thanks alot. I was leaning towards seperate units but now have to pause and think it over a little longer.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

I have had both separate units, and combo setups, and I agree with the comments thus far.<br /><br />The only negative with combos for me was I could not turn off the depthfinder if I thought it was hurting my fishing (I'm convinced that the fish "feel" the transmitter vibration, because there are certain times I can cut off my depthfinder, and it will improve fishing.<br /><br />HOWEVER, on a smaller boat I will still continue to purchase combo units, to save space, money, and complications of learning/using two different instruments.

18rabbit

Captain

Good stuff, PAkev. One additional thought… if you are looking at any combo units that feature split screens keep in mind that the split-screen sales hype can (should?) be viewed as just that…hype. Unless you have an unusually large display, the tiny split-screens are virtually useless as they can be hard to read. If you are ok with toggling between functions you will be ok with a combo unit. If you think you will have a need to be referencing both functions together (especially if you are planning on chartplotting) you may want to revisit the idea of separate units.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Don<br />If you have the space and money then I think seperate units are better. Larger color screen are expensive and you save the cost of the second screen with the combo unit. Seadawg comment about depth finder affecting fish I have herd before and I know I can feel the pulse if I put my foot right under the transducer. Move my foot even 1 foot lower and I do not feel it at all. Also I belive on combo units you can turn off the depth finder by putting the unit in full screen GPS mode.<br /><br />I Like the idea of setting up my depth finder the way I want it and leave it alone. The GPS part you are going to need to change often to change to a different route or add a waypoint of rock pile where you caught lots of fish. To go back to the same rock pile for another drift and then to set you return route to port.

SingleShot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All good comments, I have a Garmin 240 and Garmin Maps 76. Separate units that dont take up that much room. Wifes relative has the Lowance LM-320 I think thats right. Combo unit, nice unit but like post above screens are almost usless in split screen mode. Once you know what your doing it isn't too much trouble pressing keys. I use my gps for hunting also so it's dual purpose. Last time out, I had a comment on how small my gps map screen was, then I pulled out my high end lap top with the fishing hots spots connected up to my gps. Now thats a nice color screen. Both running off my deep cycle. Talk about duel purpose LOL!!<br /><br />SingleShot

waterinthefuel

Commander

Seadawg, the soundwaves emitted by the transducer are completely "unhearable" by fish. Your fishing got better after you turned off your unit because you payed more attention to what you were doing rather than watching the graph the whole time! :)

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don...<br /><br />I see by your profile that you have a 19' Smoker Craft and a 16' Lund. I think a combo GPS/sonar would be good in either of these.<br /><br />I bought a Lowrance LMS 320 about a year ago for my 16' Whaler. Liked it enough to buy another 320 a couple months ago when I bought another Whaler [13']. :) <br /><br />Hey, just my .02...

DEM

Cadet

Thanks for the comment, Old Jarhead.<br />I have now sold both the 19 foot and the 16 foot and ordered a Lund Pro-V 1775 (17 foot 2 inches) which I will use mainly for walleye / bass etc but with an important trip or two each year to Lake Michigan where I need to track downrigger balls, look for thermoclines, mark baitfish etc..<br />I am now leaning towards the Lowrance LCX-15MT with dual 50/200 transducers. I have never had a color monitor so maybe won't know what I am missing. I am still not sure about spending 300 more and getting the GPS added to the sonar or not. Any comments appreciated.

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don...<br /><br />I wasn't familiar with the LCX-15MT so I did some searching. Nice unit.<br /><br />Go for the added GPS. If you don't like it you can blame me. :D <br /><br />But I bet you will...