Gotta New Old Boat Today

grimlock97

Recruit
I have aquired a new old boat today that was sitting at a friends house and he just wanted it gone, it's not in bad shape, but i have no idea what kind of boat it is!! It has a 1960 Johnson Super Sea Horse 40hp RDSL-22 motor, but that's all i can find, it says mermaid on the side back and it's 14 ft long, i can post a picture if need be, but i cannot find any manufacturer from that era that made a boat that had the word mermaid on the side, the steering wheel says attwood, and there are two michigan stickers on the windshield from 1977, there are no serial numbers on the hull anywhere, i have looked in every possible location dreamt of, can anyone help?

Thanks

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Gotta New Old Boat Today

Welcome to the iboats.com forum. You have come to the right place. The experts here, which I am not, can help you with any question about your boat, motor and trailer. However, you have to give them a little more assistance with some pictures of the boat only since you seem to have a handle on the motor's model number. Here's a link to get you started with the motor. Check for a Private Message. Good luck!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/frankr_photos/Wiring1958_6135_40hpwithoutgenerato.jpg

EDIT: A quick search of fiberglassics.com and the USCG MIC database failed to produce any info on Mermaid boats.

Last edited:

dwco5051

Commander

Hull Identification Numbers were not required to be put on until 1972. Your boat more than likely was mfg'd before that judging from the year of the motor. I imagine that this boat does not also have a capacity plate. Don't know what state you are planning on registering the boat in but you should check on the internet with the state boating agency for information on applying for a capacity plate as they are usually required before the boat can be registered. If you are in Pennsylvania send me a message and I will supply you with the web addresses for the exact procedures.

grimlock97

Recruit

thanks for the quick responses, i will have to post pictures this afternoon, there is no capacity plate, or no other real markings on the boat other than a sticker on both sides that says Fort Rucker 275 and the 3rd Army insignia on the side and it looks like those two stickers have been on there for a long time, and again i will get pictures up as soon as possible. thanks again.

grimlock97

Recruit

Okay, here's some pics, can someon please help me identify this small craft,
Thanks in advance,
100_3970.jpg

100_3971.jpg

100_3972.jpg

100_3973.jpg

100_3974.jpg

100_3975.jpg

it says attwood on the steering wheel, mermaid on the back sides and in the mermaid badge it says in very small letters Bernard-Toledo, but i'm guessing that's who made the badge, other than that there is no markings that indicate what make or model this boat is, thanks again

ziggy

Admiral

while i'm not the pro. i think i'd be researching mermaid as a mfg. maybe located in Bernard-Toledo. never heard of bernard, but surely it's toledo, oh. looks pre 72 to me too. him would be in the starboard transom area likely, if it has one. look close though other places. my 75 does have a hin and it's located right above my drive dead center of the boat on the transom, outside.

good luck.

grimlock97

Recruit

while i'm not the pro. i think i'd be researching mermaid as a mfg. maybe located in Bernard-Toledo. never heard of bernard, but surely it's toledo, oh. looks pre 72 to me too. him would be in the starboard transom area likely, if it has one. look close though other places. my 75 does have a hin and it's located right above my drive dead center of the boat on the transom, outside.

good luck.

thanks for the help, i have searched all over the net for mermaid boat manufacturer and have come up with absolutely nothing. i'm still researching, the only reason i would like identification is so i can see what it is supposed to look like so i can restore it to original or close, i want to pull it behind my 78 scout, i think it would be so cool to pull an antique boat behind a antique truck!

ziggy

Admiral

again, i wish you luck. ya might try fiberglassics too. they got a lotta old boat animals over there. they may know somthing.

be aware though. some mfgs. just don't make the www. i've got one too. a 72 trisonic (no hin). i've found a few pics of other boats, but nothing substantial on the company what so ever..

good looking boat btw. bet she scoots right along with that 40 on it.... have fun with her..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah it will be tough to find much info on it. There were literally hundred of manufacturers of small fiberglass runabouts in the 60's. Some only made a handful of boats. I'd paint her white with a brightly colored top.

A windshield will be tough to find. If yours isn't cracked, you may have some luck polishing it out. Others have recommended the compound they make for polishing auto headlight assemblies that you can get at any auto parts store.

My last boat was a 60's closed bow runabout also and my windshield was toast. I was able to adapt a shield from a newer boat. Mine was a 16' though so I had a little more room to work with.

Before:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/09.jpg

After:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/boat2.jpg

grimlock97

Recruit

thanks for the assistance, i checked with fiberglassics and one person suggested a mermaid manufacturer that was only in existence from 1958-1960/61, it is possible, but there really is no information to be found on that company or pictures of any other boats. Luckily though, the person that gave me the boat just happened to have a spare windshied with it, that is the only other thing that i did get with the boat was the windshield, i planned on either painting her or re-gelcoating, not sure which one is best, ther are a few spider cracks all over the hull, but it doesn't leak or anything and the transom is very strong, i hope just a little tlc and a new interior will fix her right up, i really don't know what the interior is supposed to look like though, i'm guessing a bench seat up front and maybe two jump seats in the back? Now i have been reading the forums a lot and read all about scuffing her up and painting her, would this be just as good as gel-coating? thanks for the advice everyone.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd scuff her up and paint her. I had great luck with Petit Easypoxy.

Willyclay

Captain

If the full Alabama registration number is legible, maybe somebody at the appropriate state agency can tell you or give you what is in their files. Good luck!

MyViewGS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im pretty sure that is a "Sea King." They were manufactured by Angler in the late 50's to early 60's exclusively for Montgomery Ward. They also made the "Elgin" exclusively for Sears Roebuck & Co. They made a 12' and 14' with three models of each. Here is photo of one similar to what you have. That should be a fun little boat when you get done. Enjoy !

Attachments

• seaking.jpg
    seaking.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 0